From this page, you can find information on all the things you might need to know when you arrive in the UK from overseas, whether you are just beginning your course or you are already a registered student and this is the first time you have been able to come to the country.

Before you travel

It is important to check the current government guidance on what you need to do before you travel to the UK. The guidance can change at short notice so it is important you read and familiarise yourself with the relevant rules before you book your travel to the UK from overseas.

Isolation on arrival and testing

Accessing food while self-isolating

Healthcare and BRP

Accessing healthcare

  • You can access urgent healthcare assistance via NHS 111, you do not need to be registered with a doctor to use this service.
  • You should register with a doctor as soon as you can after arriving in the UK.
  • If you are no longer quarantining after international travel and you live in a halls of residence or are coming on to campus for study, you can use the College's asymptomatic testing scheme.

Biometric Residence Permits and registering with the Police

  • Students on a study visa may be issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). If your card is coming to the College you will be emailed with more information when it arrives. If you have any questions you can get in touch with the International Student Support team.
  • Students arriving from certain countries will need to register with the Police. Visit our Police registration webpage for up to date information.

Accommodation and advice


Practical advice

  • You should open a UK bank account as soon as you can after arriving in the UK but please complete any required period of quaratine first.
  • You may wish to get a UK sim card for your phone when you arrive to help you stay connected. This article explains how to access a UK mobile phone or sim card.
  • If you are not attending campus for your course you will not need a College ID Card. If you are on campus or living in halls, your academic department or hall of residence will be able to arrange for your College ID Card to be issued.