Learning and Teaching Committee
Terms of reference
- To oversee the development and implementation of the College’s Learning and Teaching Strategy, ensuring alignment with College Strategy.
- To proactively identify, support and promote innovations in learning,teaching and assessment.
- To consider the evaluation of various approaches to curriculum design, delivery and assessment, ensuring that the impact on different student groups is understood and that the results are used to inform future practice.
- To communicate and promote the profile of learning and teaching and the student experience at Imperial College.
- To engage with and recommend action as appropriate to address key themes emerging from internal and external surveys of students.
- To advise on the College’s Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) assessment and contribute to the development of the TEF provider submission.
- To consider responses to external consultations on matters relating to learning and teaching.
- To identify best practice from across the sector that can inform enhancement within College.
- To oversee the development and implementation of the Academic Standards Framework (ASF) and ensure its compliance with the QAA Quality Code and related external frameworks, as well as its fit within the College.
- To ensure alignment of the ASF with the SIMP process, specifically, but not limited to, the Academic Programme Lifecycle (APL) work stream.
- To provide oversight of ‘task and finish’ groups and ensure timely delivery of proposals to support the APL work stream.
- To receive and consider reports from the Online Learning Innovation Group (OLIG).
Constitution and membership
- Vice-Provost (Education) as Chair;
- Director of the Graduate School;
- a senior representative with a responsibility for educational leadership from each faculty nominated by the Dean;
- a senior representative from the School of Professional Development;
- Student Representative nominated by Imperial College Union;
- Head of Strategic Projects, Education Office
- Director of Strategic Planning
- Academic Registrar (or nominee);
- Head of Academic Services;
- the Senior Assistant Registrar (Quality Assurance and Enhancement)
|Professor Simone Buitendijk||Vice Provost (Education) (Chair)|
|Professor Sue Gibson||Director of the Graduate School|
|Professor Peter Cheung||Vice Dean (Education) for the Faculty of Engineering|
|Professor Alan Spivey||Vice Dean (Education) for the Faculty of Natural Sciences|
|Professor Desmond Johnston||Vice Dean (Education) for the Faculty of Medicine|
|Ms Diane Morgan||Associate Dean of Programmes for Imperial College Business School|
|Dr Martyn Kingsbury||Director of Educational Development as the School of Professional Development Representative|
|Mr Luke McCrone||Deputy President (Education) for Imperial College Union|
|Ms Emma Caseley||Head of Strategic Projects, Education Office|
|Mr Malcolm Edwards||Director of Strategic Planning|
|Mr David Ashton||Academic Registrar|
|Ms Judith Webster||Head of Academic Services|
|Ms Sophie White||Senior Assistant Registrar (Quality Assurance & Enhancement) as Secretary|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates (Academic year 2017/18)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2017/18)|
|31 October 2017||17 October 2017|
|28 November 2017||14 November 2017|
|19 December 2017||05 December 2017|
|23 January 2018||09 January 2018|
|20 February 2018||06 February 2018|
|13 March 2018||27 February 2018|
|15 May 2018||01 May 2018|
|Committee dates (Academic year 2016/17)||Submission deadlines (Academic year 2016/17)|
|29 June 2017||15 June 2017|
|19 September 2017||5 September 2017|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting. Items to be recommended to Senate cannot be considered at the final meeting of the academic year.
Academic year 2017/18
- 31 October 2017
- 28 November 2017
- 19 December 2017
- 23 January 2018
- 20 February 2018
- 13 March 2018
- 15 May 2018
Academic year 2016/17
- 29 June 2017
- 19 September 2017