Imperial is a European university with global reach. Collaborating across borders with people from different backgrounds, cultures and nationalities is what drives the world’s best universities.
President Alice Gast has repeatedly affirmed that “Imperial is, and will remain, a European university”. Imperial is providing staff and students with support and regular updates as we work to mitigate and manage the considerable uncertainty surrounding the Brexit process. Our European ambitions remain undimmed. We are growing our European collaborations. We are working to influence decision-makers in Westminster and Brussels as we campaign for access to European research networks and immigration reform that will allow science to thrive.
This page and our FAQs will be updated regularly with key developments. If you would like to receive our regular Brexit Briefings, please contact email@example.com. You can also access past Brexit Briefings in our archive. (login required)
- Talks between the UK and EU on their future relationship are continuing throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Both sides have said they are considering access to EU programmes such as Horizon Europe.
- Government has confirmed that students from the EU, other EEA and/or Switzerland starting a course on or after 1 August 2021 will no longer be eligible for the Home tuition fee rate. See our student support pages for more information.
- Following the UK's withdrawal from the EU, there will be a transition period until 31 December 2020 during which no changes to current arrangements with the EU will take place. This means that during 2020:
- You can continue to travel as before during this time. EU/EEA/Swiss staff should apply to the EU settlement scheme to retain their right to live and work in the UK.
What happens next?
- 28 September - 2 October UK-EU negotiations continue
- 15 - 16 October 2020 European Council Summit
- 31 December 2020 End of transition period
- 10 - 11 December 2020 European Council Summit
- 1 January 2021 New immigration system will come into effect
Information for staff
Imperial is providing information and support to staff as the UK leaves the EU. Find out about the latest information from the UK government, answers to frequently asked questions and contact points for further support.
Information for students
Imperial is working to provide current and future students from the EU/EEA with the latest information on fees, funding and immigration requirements.