"It is very helpful. It prepares us in academic writing, lecture listenings and presentation skills. These are all very useful in postgraduate study." (Pre-sessional Student, 2016)
- small class sizes
- preparing you for the expectations of your degree
- attending live lectures by leading Imperial academics
- meeting Imperial researchers at interactive research events
- researching and presenting ideas from STEM disciplines
- working with authentic materials with a focus on STEM research
- collaborating with other students to publish work online
- managing your independent study time with your study coach
- using our dedicated virtual learning environment
- interacting with student volunteers on our social programme
By joining one of our pre-sessional English courses, you will get a head start in your degree studies, get to know the College and London, and make lots of new friends.
Our courses have been developed specifically to prepare Imperial students to study STEM subjects and to participate effectively in the academic STEM community.
12-week and 6-week courses
The 12-week and 6-week courses are for prospective Imperial postgraduate students holding a conditional offer and who need to improve their English language proficiency. Students on these courses must complete all course assignments and class work to the required level and pass the two pre-sessional exams in the final week of the course. Passing the course means that students have fulfilled the College’s English language entry condition and do not need to re-take IELTS.
Check the entry requirements for the 12-week and 6-week programmes here.
The 3-week course is designed for undergraduate and postgraduate students who have already met the English language requirement for their course but who wish to extend their academic and social English in preparation for study at Imperial. As students on this course already hold an unconditional offer, they are not assessed at the end of the course.