As part of the mailbox migration we will move any archived mail held in Enterprise Vault into the new archive mailbox feature.
- Approximately one week after your mailbox moves the Enterprise Vault archive stubs will be restored with the full message in your primary mailbox.
- Within two weeks of your mailbox being migrated, archived data over 18 months would be “re-inflated” with the full message and these can be found in your new mailbox archive called “Outlook Archive.”
- In the meantime, you can still access archived data over 18 months via the Enterprise Vault web portal. See Archiving emails
Please note that the EV button to manually archive email has been disabled or removed to prevent data loss.
On completion of your archive mailbox migration you will be able to use Outlook and other mail clients to search both the current and archive mailbox directly.
Mac and Linux
Mac users: Using the new Office 2016 software suite will provide you with the best experience in viewing your online archive along with your primary mailbox in the same client. This software is available from the ICT Software Shop.
Linux users: Please use the Outlook Web Access client (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/office365).
Import mail archives
If you have archived your emails to a local storage device, you can now import your mail archives to the online storage facilty and reduce the risk to locally stored data archives:
Importing PST files into the Office 365 Online Archive
To import a mailbox PST into the Online Archive, follow these steps:
1. Open Outlook for Windows.
2. Look in the mailbox list in the left navigation screen and highlight the Online Archive for your user.
3. Go to the File Menu,choose to Open & Export a file and select the Import/Export option.
4. Choose to Import from another program or file when the wizard starts.
5. Select Outlook Data File (.pst).
6. Locate the data file that you wish to import, ensure that Reduce duplicates with items imported is selected and click Next.
7. Choose the folder to import from, if more than one option given.
8. Check that the Import items into the same folder in Online Archive is selected.
9. Click Finish to begin the import.
The import process will start and you will see a progress bar.
Importing PST files can take a while, depending on the size of the PST file. For this reason we recommend that you do this before you leave work in the afternoon, so that your work is not interrupted.