Create a recording
Recordings can be created in Panopto using the Panopto Personal Recorder. The Personal Recorder has the advantage of being able to capture multiple streams of content: you can capture video, audio, an overhead visualiser, the computer desktop and a PowerPoint presentation all in one recording. These can then all be viewed simultaneously in the Panopto web viewer.
The Personal Recorder is pre-installed on many Imperial College lecture theatre lectern machines and can also be downloaded and installed on a personal device. Read our install Panopto Personal Recorder web page for instructions.
Create a recording
Set up the personal recorder
First make sure all the equipment that you plan to use is connected and turned on before launching the Panopto Personal Recorder.
The Panopto Personal Recorder requires an audio input to record. Even if you do not plan to record any sound, ensure that you have a microphone enabled.
If you are using a campus lectern machine, wireless microphones are located either near the lectern or are available from your departmental office.
If the light on the microphone is flashing red (muted), press the button on the microphone once and it will un-mute it and will flash green.
The Panopto Personal Recorder app will be located on the desktop of the machine you are using. If you are unable to locate it on the desktop, search the machine for “recorder.exe” or “Panopto”.
After opening the app you will be asked to enter your Imperial College username and password. Enter these and click Log In.
Recording with a Windows PC
To use the Panopto personal recorder on a Windows PC, follow the steps below:
- Connect your audio-visual equipment before you open Panopto. Make sure you have a built in or external microphone or Panopto will not work.
- Locate the Panopto icon on your desktop and double click on it.
- Enter your College username and password and click Log In.
- Once the app has launched, under Folder choose a destination for your recording from your assigned folders by clicking the arrow in the top right hand corner.
- Enter the title of your session in the Name field. This is the name that will appear to viewers.
- In the Primary Sources section, select either your built in webcam or an external camera as the recording device for video.
- For Audio, select either built in microphone or external microphone as the recording device for audio under Primary Sources. Most Windows machines will include Stereo Mix as an option, this will record all audio that emanates from the machine as one source. Alternatively, you can tick the Capture Computer Audio box below. To ensure the audio is working correctly, make sure that you can see green, yellow and red bars appearing on the right hand side of the video panel. These represent the recording level.
- Select Capture PowerPoint under Secondary Sources. This will give you the option to open a PowerPoint Presentation via the Open a Presentation button in the main capture area. See the above tab for additional guidance on using PowerPoint with Panopto
Note: To avoid problems with processing recordings, ensure that the PowerPoint file that you are using is saved locally on your machine (i.e. on the desktop), not launched from the internet or an email.
- If required, select Capture Main Screen. Please be aware that this will capture everything that is displayed on your computer screen.
- Click on Add Another Video Source to add other sources as required. To remove a source, click the (X) on the main display area.
- When you are ready to record, click the Record button.
- During recording, you can Pause and Resume (F8 for Start, F9 for Pause, F10 for Stop) the recording if needed.
- When finished, select the Stop button or use the shortcut keys.
- Click Upload when the Recording Complete message pops up.
- You will be taken automatically to the Manage Recordings tab. This screen shows the status of recordings that have been made on this machine and their progress with uploading to the Panopto Server. From here you can access the session directly via the Share, Edit and View links.
Note: Panopto will continue to upload your recordings providing the machine you used to record is turned on and has an internet connection. There is no need to remain logged on after completing a recording.
Recording with a Mac
To use the Panopto Personal Recorder with a Mac, follow these steps:
- Connect your audio visual equipment before you open Panopto. Make sure you have a built in or external microphone or Panopto will not work.
- Locate the Panopto icon on your desktop and double click on it.
- Enter your College username and password and click Login.
- Click on Create a new recording.
- Choose a Folder, click the drop down menu and select your folder.
- Give the session a title. (The date and time are entered as the Session Name by default. You may keep this or change it.)
- Tick Record Keynote/PowerPoint if you want to record them. This will ensure that any Keynote or PowerPoint files are recorded an each navigation thumbnail will represent one slide from the presentation.
- Tick Record Capture Screen to record your screen as well.
- Select either your built in microphone or external microphone as the recording device for audio.. You must have an audio device connected, whether built in or external otherwise Panopto will not work (you can mute it).
- Select either your built in webcam or your external camera as the recording device for video.
- Click Start Recording.
- Wait a few moments. When you see the word Recording you will know that Panopto has started to record.
- Click the yellow button to minimise the Panopto window and create your screen capture, as it does not minimise automatically. To pause or stop the recording, access the Panopto window by clicking on the Panopto icon in the task bar below and press Pause or Stop. Click Resume to continue recording.
- Press the Stop button when you want to finish recording.
- Watch the progress of your recording via the recording status window that will automatically pop up.
- Wait for the upload to complete and be verified by the Panopto server before logging out. You will know that the upload has been completed when you see the word Completed or Completed - Processing.
If you have requested to be notified via email when your recording is complete, you will receive an email. Mac recordings can take a long time to process (much longer than PC recordings) as the files need to be encoded from Mac files to Windows-based files.
Alternatively you can always access your capture via the server.
Using PowerPoint with Panopto
PowerPoint can be recorded alongside the audio and video in a Panopto recording. Benefits include:
- Headings will be picked up and used to create a Table of Contents that can be used for navigational purposes.
- Slide thumbnails will be generated for each slide (or major slide changes).
- The search feature can be used to find key words in the PowerPoint.
IMPORTANT: a PowerPoint presentation must be opened locally from the machine you are using, for example from the desktop, or the H:\ or C:\ drives. Do not open the file from an email or the web, as this will cause issues when the recording is uploaded to Panopto.
If you are using the Personal Recorder, ensure that Capture PowerPoint is ticked. Select Open a Presentation and locate the file that you wish to present.
If you are using the Remote Recorder (scheduled), open the PowerPoint and present as normal.
Each PowerPoint file that you will use with Panopto has to be 100MB or less. Panopto cannot handle PowerPoint files larger than 100MB. To work around this, split larger files into smaller individual files.
Make sure you use a standard font such as Arial or Times New Roman in your PowerPoint as Panopto can only show standard fonts. If you use an unusual font, a different one may appear in your final recording.
Setting up a webcast in Panopto
Recordings in Panopto can be viewed live using the webcast feature. Therefore staff and/or students can watch a live lecture remotely. Viewers will be able to comment on the session and these can be seen in the Panopto Personal Recorder by the presenter. Please ensure that the correct share permissions are set up before you start webcasting.
Webcasts can either be created and broadcast at the time of recording or setup in advance. The advantage to setting up a webcast in advance is that the link to view the recording is pre-generated and can be distributed to staff and students.
To create a webcast at the time of recording, ensure that the Webcast tick box is selected in the Panopto Personal Recorder. This will generate a link to the recording that can be sent to users.
To create a webcast in advance, follow these steps:
- Log into imperial.cloud.panopto.eu
- Navigate to the folder that you would like to create the recording in
- Click on the blue Create button at the top of the screen and select Webcast
- Enter the name and description (if required) for the recording and select Create. Viewers will see the description before the session starts.
- Once you have created your webcast, the recording options menu will be displayed. Here you can access the Viewer Link. This is the link you will need to share with users who wish to view the recording live. You can edit who has access to the recording by selecting Share.
- When you are ready to start your webcast, go to the Overview section on the left-hand menu, and click Record.
- The desktop version of the Panopto Personal Recorder will be launched. From here you will be able to setup your audio-visual equipment as well as the main screen and a PowerPoint presentation in the same way as any normal recording.