Schedule a recording
Scheduled Recordings are Panopto sessions that are created in advance to take place at a set time and in a dedicated teaching space.
Scheduled Recordings can only be made using a Remote Recorder that is installed on a teaching space lectern computer. They cannot be made using the Personal Recorder. The settings for a Remote Recorder are pre-configured and cannot be changed per session.
Scheduled Recordings are usually administrated by Faculty Ed-Tech teams and only members of staff with the videographer role in Panopto can do this. If you need to create Scheduled Recordings, contact your Faculty Ed-Tech team for information. If you work in a Non-academic Department and need to create a Scheduled Recording, then please see the tab below for further details.
- A scheduled recording starts and finishes at a designated time and location.
The audio-visual equipment settings for Remote Recorders are preconfigured by ICT.
The only requirement of the presenter is to wear a microphone.
Once a scheduled recording has been made, it can be edited, shared and managed in the same way as one made on the Personal Recorder. Learn how to manage and edit recordings.
There are four ways to schedule a recording:
Schedule a Panopto recording
Schedule using Panopto
- Login to imperial.cloud.panopto.eu and select the folder to which you would like to save the recording.
- Click Create and then select Scheduled recording.
- Type the Name of the recording and check the recording is in the correct Folder.
- Under Source, select the Primary Remote Recorder. Do not select Secondary Remote Recorder, as Imperial does not facilitate the use of this feature. View our list of lecture theatres with Panopto to find the correct recorder.
- Select a Date and Start Time and End Time for the recording.
- If you want the recording to repeat on a certain day configure the Occurs section as required.
- Tick the Webcast Session box, if you want to make a live webcast. More information on setting up a webcast can be found in Create a recording.
- Click Create when completed.
- You will now see the information screen for your session – from here you can make further changes and access the Share tab
Note: To see scheduled recordings in a folder that haven’t taken place yet, you need to select Show scheduled recordings.
Schedule using Panopto-Celcat
The Panopto-Celcat integration enables automatic scheduling of recordings, based on the data in the Celcat timetabling system, for participating departments.
Bookings in Celcat are called an event. When a lecture event is scheduled in Celcat, a scheduled recording is automatically created in Panopto that corresponds to the date, time and room of the Celcat booking.
For a successful recording to take place, the following requirements should be considered:
- Only Lecture events will be recorded by default. Other Categories need to be set to record in Celcat. See below for further instructions.
- The event has been scheduled by a participating department.
- An event needs to have a module assigned to it and that module is registered to a Panopto folder
- The event is taking place in a room with the Panopto scheduled recorder installed. View lecture theatres with Panopto
- The Panopto Field in Celcat is set to either Record and No Webcast, or Record and Webcast. This only needs to be altered if a non-lecture event that needs to recorded or a lecture event that should not be recorded has been scheduled in Celcat, in which case the custom2 field should be set to no record and no webcast.
Changing the event category from lecture to a non-lecture event will not change the default recording behavior, this needs to be changed manually.
Changing the recording status of an event:
- Click on the event to open the dialog box.
- Click on the Misc tab and then click on the drop-down box under the Panopto field.
- You will then have three options to choose from. Select the appropriate option and then click on the Save button.
Bulk changes to the Panopto status of events can be achieved using the event wizard. If you require bulk changes to be made, please contact the Central Timetabling Office with the nature of your request.
How far in advance should the Celcat-Panopto interface create Panopto schedules?
It is highly recommended that recordings are scheduled 24 hours in advance.
The system is setup to transfer data from Celcat into Panopto in 2-hour intervals. The system creates the schedules in Panopto within 2 hours of an event having been created or amended in Celcat.
How should changes to Panopto schedules be managed?
Any scheduled recordings in Panopto which have been created via Celcat should never be amended or deleted from within Panopto. Such sessions can be identified by the Celcat Event ID as part of the session name.
Where will the recordings go?
Events will be recorded into a folder in Panopto that corresponds to the module it was scheduled with in Celcat.
Where events are associated with multiple modules, the integration will record into the module folder with the lowest alpha numeric module code with an associated folder ID.
How will events scheduled across multiple Panopto enabled rooms be recorded?
Events in multiple Panopto enabled rooms will have all the rooms recorded and the onus will be on the session owner to publish the recording from the primary location. Redundant recordings should be deleted afterwards.
How will event clashes be resolved?
Celcat allows two events to be scheduled in the same room with the same date and time. If a clash is in place in Celcat when a data transfer from Celcat to Panopto takes place, the integration will only create a Panopto schedule for the first event that was created in Celcat. An email will be sent to the department about the timetabling clash. A clash is also possible if an event is created in Celcat with the same date, time and room as a manually created Panopto schedule. Learn more about Events and how to manage them.
A live extract of the Panopto data stored in Celcat can be accessed by clicking on the following link: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/timetabling/panoptoExtract
For departments using Panopto-Celcat integration, the fields relating to the publication of an event can be completed in the same way on the template i.e. Panopto field and event category type.
Schedule using Batch Processes
The Batch Process tool enables the creation of multiple instances of folders and scheduled recordings, and for multiple changes in permissions and RSS settings in Panopto via a .csv upload.
Requests for Batch Processes should only be sent via the ASK Service Now form (search for Panopto Batch Process on ASK) and must follow the format in the templates supplied below. Access to the form is restricted to Videographers.
Available Batch processes and link to templates:
- Panopto schedule recordings
- Panopto folder creation
- Panopto folder renaming
- Panopto granting folder permissions
- Panopto removing folder permissions
- Panopto toggle RSS availability on/off
Each option allows you to create or change 10 or more items in Panopto. Ensure that you delete the example rows and the column headings before submitting the .csv. A receipt will be provided once the batch has been processed.
Please be aware it is your responsibility to fill out the information accurately and that submitted .csv files will not be validated, checked or amended by ICT.
Staff members that require access to the Batch Process ASK form should liaise with their Faculty Learning Technologist.
Notes on compiling .csv files
It is not possible to activate folder inheritance through the batch tool, so the permissions for each folder need to be explicitly applied in the csv. Leaving the account name field blank in the csv like this:
12345,Test folder 1, ,U,V
…will result in the folder being created without an owner.
ASSIGNING MULTIPLE PERMISSIONS
If you want to assign multiple accounts to a folder with the same permissions, you can add multiple user or group accounts to a csv line by separating the names with a comma and surrounding the account name field with double quotes.
For example, if you want to grant the users jsmith and jbloggs viewer rights to a new folder named 'Test Folder 1' in the parent folder with ID 12345, the line in the csv would look like this:
12345,Test folder 1,"jsmith,jbloggs",U,V
If you wanted to grant creator permissions to the groups elearning, engineering and FONS to a new folder named 'Test folder 2' in the parent folder with ID 12345, the line in the csv would look like this:
12345,Test folder 2,"elearning,engineering,FONS",G,C
If you want to create a new folder and assign permissions to a single account you do not need the quotation marks. If you want to create a new folder and assign permissions to multiple users and groups you can create the new folder with one set of permissions then add additional permissions using the Batch permissions tool.
If you are a member of a Non-academic Department and are not supported by an Ed-Tech team or Learning Technologist, you can submit a Scheduled Recording request to ICT using the Scheduled Recording Request form.
- Completing this form will raise a Service Now request to create a scheduled recording in Panopto.
- Please allow 24 hours after submitting for the request to be processed.
- Scheduled recordings will only be accepted by members of staff with the Creator role in Panopto.