Finding and borrowing books
Once you've received your College ID card, you'll be able to borrow books.
Finding a book is easy, just follow these steps:
1. Search for the title on Library Search
2. Look for the location e.g. Central Library level 2
3. Make a note of the numbers and letters - they are a subject code which helps you locate the book on the shelves e.g. 808.042 PEC
4. The books are on the shelf in number order - left to right, top to bottom
5. When you find the number on the shelf look for the 3 letters, they are in alphabetical order
How do I borrow a book?
Take the book to a self-service machine and use your College ID card to borrow it - at the Central library they are on the ground floor.
Alternatively, take it to a member of staff at any of our service points.
How many books can I borrow?
You can borrow up to 40 items, they'll be issued for 1 week (3 weeks for research postgraduates) and we'll renew them for you.
If someone requests a book you have, we'll ask you to return it and there will be a fine if you're late (50p per day).
What happens if a book isn't on the shelf?
If you can't find the book on the shelf check Library Search - someone else might have it.
Look for information like "checked out" or "on loan until".
To get hold of it you need to Request it. Sign in to Library Search to see the Request link.