Finding and borrowing books
Once you've received your College ID card, you'll be able to borrow books.
Finding a book is easy, just follow these steps:
1. Search for the title on Library Search
2. Using the options in the side, filter your list to show "Books" only
2. Look for the location e.g. Central Library level 5
3. Make a note of the numbers and letters - they are a subject code which helps you locate the book on the shelves e.g. 808.042 PEC
4. The books are on the shelf in number order - left to right, top to bottom
5. When you find the number on the shelf look for the 3 letters, they are in alphabetical order
6. If a book has been checked out you can request it by signing in at the top of the screen using your College username and password. We will email you when it is available for collection.
How do I borrow a book?
Take the book to a self-service machine and use your College ID card to borrow it - at the Central Library they are on level 1.
Alternatively, take it to a member of staff at any of our service points.
How many books can I borrow?
You can borrow up to 40 items, they'll be issued for 1 week (3 weeks for research postgraduates) and we'll renew them automatically for you.
If someone requests a book you have on loan, we'll ask you to return it and there will be a fine if you're late (50p per day).
What happens if a book isn't on the shelf?
If you can't find the book on the shelf check Library Search - someone else might have it.
Look for information like "checked out" or "on loan until".
To get hold of it you need to Request it. Sign in to Library Search to see the Request link.
What if the Library doesn't have the book I need?
How do I know which books I have on loan?
Each week we will send you an email detailing which books you have on loan.
Look out for other emails from Library Services, they will tell you when a book is overdue for return or if someone else has requested it.
You can also see all the books you have by signing in to your account on Library Search.