If your library is a member of SCONUL Access you can apply for access to Imperial College London Library with the following conditions.
Band A - Research postgraduates and academic staff
Band A - Research postgraduates and academic staff may register as external borrowers.
You must be:
- a permanent member of staff or a member of staff on a fixed term contract
- a postgraduate research student registered for a PhD, MPhil or similar qualification awarded purely by research
Imperial members wishing to visit other libraries under the SCONUL Access scheme should see Using other libraries.
How to register
To apply under the SCONUL Access or SCONUL Vacation Access schemes please fill out the online library membership application form, selecting the ‘SCONUL Access’ option. Then visit the Welcome Desk in the Central Library or at one of our campus libraries, and provide:
- a copy of your SCONUL confirmation email for Band A (SCONUL Access scheme only)
- a current ID card from your institution - if your ID card does not include your photo, you must bring additional photographic ID
- proof of your current address (SCONUL Access scheme only)
- a current email address at your home institution's domain (not gmail, etc).
For SCONUL Access, library cards are issued for 3 years or to the expiry date indicated on your confirmation email.
Your membership entitles you to use all our libraries.
Borrowing and requests
You may borrow:
|Total items||Number of weeks||Including 24 hour loans|
We will automatically renew your items for up to 6 months before they must be returned, unless they have been requested.
If an item is recalled you will need to return it by the due date. The Library charges fines on recalled items.
Sign in to Library Search to request an item which is out on loan. We will email you when it is available for collection. Your request limit is 3 at one time.
Using e-journals, e-books and databases
Your access to e-journals, e-books and databases is limited only to those permitted by the terms of our licences and only available within the Library. Their use is strictly for non-commercial purposes and you must adhere to licence restrictions.
Imperial is a member of eduroam, a service allowing students, researchers and staff from participating institutions to connect to the internet when visiting other participating institutions, see Visitors and guests.
Undergraduates and taught postgraduates
Undergraduates and taught postgraduates may only apply for temporary reference access during College Christmas and summer vacations. For admission at other times see Members of the public and other visitors.