Advanced Aeronautical Engineering
For general enquiries about the programme please contact:
Senior Postgraduate (MSc) Administrator
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7594 5066
Fax: +44 (0)20 7594 1974
Dr Rob Hewson, Programme Director
This new taught postgraduate programme offers multidisciplinary training in aircraft technologies for reducing environmental impact and life-cycle costs. This degree is suitable for applicants with an engineering background who have a particular interest in aircraft technologies.
Please note: We only award MSc qualifications. Postgraduate Certificates and Diplomas are not available in the Department of Aeronautics.
Why should I apply for this MSc?
Air travel is vital for the continued prosperity of the EU economy and is predicted to grow significantly over the next 20 years. The challenge facing aviation is to meet the predicted growth in demand in a way that ensures that the environment is protected.
This new MSc programme provides courses on the fundamental disciplines that are of prime importance for developing new enabling technologies vital to the design of more environmentally friendly future aircraft.
The facilities in the Department are of a high standard, with the latest industry-standard software available for students to use.
This programme is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society
Entry requirements (2018 entry)
Applicants should have been awarded, or expect to be awarded, a minimum Upper Second Class (2:1) but preferably First Class (1st) or equivalent degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering with some experience of fluid and structural dynamics.
Questions about the application process? Please see our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Fees and Funding
Aims and objectives
- To provide a high level, one-year taught course in advanced aspects of aeronautical engineering with special emphasis on the technological innovation and the challenges involved in the design of next generation aircraft.
- To attract academically talented and motivated students from home and overseas.
- To graduate students with fundamental understanding of the course material and the ability to apply it to practical problems.
- To enable students to acquire a mature appreciation of the context in which engineering projects are developed.
- To ensure that not only do we provide enhanced engineering training but that we also encourage and provide an opportunity for conversion to an advanced aeronautical engineering for excellent and motivated graduates from Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering and, in some especial cases, other relevant Engineering disciplines.
Content and structure
The programme can be completed in 1 year on a full-time basis. The programme begins in October and ends in September. The programme is comprised of core and optional modules: the core modules are complusory and consist of a set of introductory non-examinable modules and modules related to the "Green Aviation" initiative. The optional modules deal with advanced aeronautical engineering topics.
Students will also undertake an individual research project.