Aeronautical Engineering (MEng)
Engineering Practice 2: Technical
Engineering practice involves more than the application of theory and utilising mathematics to solve problems. It requires engineers to have an awareness of practical, legal, ethical and manufacturing constraints, to be creative in proposing solutions to problems, and be able to communicate, collaborate, plan and manage their work. This module builds on you prior experience of Engineering Practice 1, requiring you to engage in multi-disciplinary design and optimisation work within constraints and subject to uncertainty.
On successfully completing this module, you should be able to:
- Develop an experimental activity risk assessment, identifying possible risks and proposing appropriate control measures.
- Integrate disciplinary knowledge towards the solution of a multidisciplinary, multi-objective engineering optimisation problem.
- Deal with uncertainty in design, making reasonable assumptions to fill in the gaps in a brief.
- Produce clear and concise design proposals, aimed at both a technical and non-technical audience.
- Keep a consistent record of their work and ideas using a Log Book.
- Appreciate the challenges and develop methods for working and communicating effectively within a small, diverse group of students.
Professional Skills, Communication and Reporting:
- Developing risk assessments.
- Getting work experience and internships.
- Preparing for internship interviews.
The module is deliverd through a combination of large class lectures, workshops and tutorials. You will spend most of your time in independent and self-organised group work to optimaly design, build and test an engineering system, applying the skills and understanding they have developed throughout the module and the programme to date.
The module is summatively assessed through a number of coursework and practical submissions:
|Assessment type||Assessment description||Weighting||Pass mark|
|Coursework||Manufacturing Processes report||40%||40%|
|Coursework||Application Exercise Web Cast||30%||40%|
|Practical||Application Exercise Performance||15%||40%|
|Coursework||Experimental and Project Logbook||10%||40%|
|Practical||Review of Skill Passport||0%||100%|
|Coursework||Application exercise risk assessment||5%||40%|