FAQs for students

I am currently abroad and I am not able to return to Imperial to study due to travel restrictions or health authority advice. What should I do?

If you are not able to return due to being kept in areas affected by the coronavirus or due to the lack of flights back to the UK, you should submit a Mitigating Circumstances application to your department.

If you might be absent from Imperial for more than 2 weeks, and might therefore miss key teaching or assessment, the College will assess the impact on your studies on an individual basis. You will need to alert us if you are in this position by emailing coronavirus-guidance@imperial.ac.uk in addition to contacting your department, raising any questions or concerns you might have. Your department will then respond to you, taking into account the requirements for your degree and the up-to-date advice from the health authorities.

If you wish, you can apply for an interruption of studies. However, for taught students, this will mean restarting at the same point in the next academic year. For research students, in most cases, a shorter period of interruption is possible. Before considering an interruption of studies, make sure you talk to your Senior Tutor or equivalent roleholder.

I live in a hall of residence and need to avoid contact with other people. What should I do?

If you are in a hall of residence and Public Health England guidance advises that you need to avoid contact with other people, you should stay in your room, call the duty number (evenings and weekends) or reception (working hours) and let your warden team know so that appropriate arrangements can be made.

I live in a shared flat and need to avoid contact with other people. What should I do?

Please follow the Public Health England guidance on what avoiding contact with other people means in practice.

What do I need to do if I am returning from interruption from a region affected by the coronavirus?

If you are returning from interruption to resume your studies, you may want to consider travelling back to the UK earlier due to possible travel disruption. You must follow the advice of the health authorities, so please check to ensure you can travel, as well as confirming any instructions about health checks and avoiding contact with other people. You should tell your Senior Tutor or equivalent roleholder if you are required to avoid contact with other people.

I am due to start at the College and I am having difficulties obtaining my visa. What should I do?

For new students or those concerned about obtaining or renewing their visas, you should contact the International Student Support team. Where there are delays in obtaining your visa, the College will make an assessment of your situation on a case by case basis, to determine whether you can start your programme a bit later.

What if I am having difficulty making arrangements to be tested for my English language (IELTS)?

For applicants who need to be tested for their English language (IELTS) where the test centres are currently closed, the College will make an assessment on a case by case basis nearer to the start date of your programme. If you have any concerns, please contact the Admissions team.  

I am a Chinese national in the UK and my visa is due to expire soon – what should I do?

The Home Office has published new guidance for Chinese nationals who are unable to return to China from the UK. 

If you are a Chinese national in the UK and have been compliant with the conditions of your visa prior to the coronavirus outbreak, your leave will be automatically extended to 31 March 2020 if your visa has an expiry date between 24 January 2020 and 30 March 2020. You don’t need to do anything to get this extension. 

This also applies to Non-Chinese, non-EEA nationals in the UK normally resident in China. Read the guidance in full

If you have further questions about your visa, please contact the International Student Support team for advice

Can I make travel arrangements to go home in the Easter vacation?

The decision is yours to make but you may wish to consider the following.

You should check what the current advice is in terms of travel and health restrictions, both in and out of the UK, as well as in your home country. If you are booking flights, ensure that you have valid travel insurance in case you need to cancel.

If your home country is or becomes an area affected by the coronavirus, you may not be able to return to your studies after the Easter vacation and this may mean that you cannot take assessments and examinations in the Summer Term. If you have concerns, please discuss with your Senior Tutor or equivalent roleholder.

I'm due to graduate on 6 May and I'm worried about booking tickets and travel. What should I do? 

Please visit the graduation webpages to access the latest guidance.