PhD and Studentship Opportunities
Anglian Water (AW) has funded many PhD and EngD students at Imperial College, both completely and partially. AW support leading research to tackle future water industry challenges as well as today's. There are a broad range of research topics, in recent years including: drinking water treatment, disinfection by-products, wastewater treatment processes, catchment management and climate change.
Imperial College provides an outstanding research environment with access to state-of-the-art research facilities. Our Graduate School offers an award winning professional development programme that supports students throughout their programme of study and research and equips them for their future careers.
Students explore their chosen topic under the supervision of one or two members of academic staff and an industry supervisor at Anglian Water. There is also the opportunity of carrying out the PhD at Anglian Water offices to gain actual industry experience.
Some UK or EU-based students receive scholarships or awards from UK Research Councils, whilst overseas students may receive awards or support from organisations in their home country, or awards from UK-based and international organisations.
You can discover existing PhD and EngD opportunities at Imperial:
- Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs) funded by Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC). These include Sustainable Civil Engineering CDT and Mathematics of the Planet Earth CDT for which AW are industrial partners;
- Science and Solutions for a Changing Planet Doctoral Training Partnership (DTPs) funded by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC); and
- STREAM EngD programme for the Industrial Doctorate Centre for the UK Water Sector.
Use our department links below to find out which research groups are working in your area of interest.
- Centre for Environmental Policy; and
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering - Environmental Water and Resource Engineering
If you are interested in undertaking a PhD or EngD with us please contact the Anglian Water Research Coordinator directly to discuss opportunities and your research interests. Students seeking to carry out a PhD in collaboration with Anglian Water must hold as a minimum a First or Upper Second class bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited university. For further information on postgraduate research at Imperial College we recommend that you refer to the Postgraduate Prospectus.
Future projects sponsored by AW in defined areas of research will be advertised here.