President's Ambassador scheme
This is a visible, high-profile role. You will be called on to help with a number of activities throughout the year including:
- guiding official Imperial College London tours
- representing the College at Open Days
- giving student life talks at schools and on-campus
- meeting and greeting delegations of international visitors
- ushering at special Imperial occasions
- attending formal events
Who are we looking for?
Confident undergraduate and postgraduate students who are enjoying their time at university and are enthusiastic about sharing their experience with a varied audience, including potential applicants, parents, teachers and high profile visitors to the College.
How much time will it involve?
A weekly email is sent out with upcoming events you can sign up for and we offer work out on a first come first served basis. This gives you the flexibility to fit the work around lectures and other commitments. It is vital for you to commit to leading at least two campus tours & student life talks (lasting approximately 1.5 - 2 hours each, so a maximum of four hours of unpaid work) on campus before you will be eligible for paid work. Once you have completed this, you will be given priority to give talks in schools across the UK, higher education fairs and high profile events on campus.
Will I get paid?
There is a mix of voluntary and paid work on the scheme, with a minimum amount of hours of voluntary work required before progressing onto paid work (see above). Paid work includes representing the College at our annual Open Days and off-campus school visits.
Why take part?
The President's Ambassadors scheme is an opportunity to:
- Develop your transferable skills
- Attend training in public speaking
- Meet other students from across the College
- Attend team building/social days and evenings out
- Complete paid work
In recognition of the time you spend volunteering for the scheme, you will:
- Receive a President's Ambassador certificate for each year on the scheme
- Be invited to a Christmas and end of year party
- Be in the running for the President's Ambassador of the Year award and other awards in recognition of excellent work
- Get paid!
In addition, the hours you work can be counted towards the Imperial College Union's new Imperial Plus Volunteer Certificate as a useful way of showing the skills you have gained for employers. Please note, it is your responsibility to log the hours you have volunteered.
Will I receive training?
There will be a training day you must attend to ensure you are prepared for your role. This will involve briefing you on what is expecting from a President's Ambassador and training in public speaking, presentations and giving excellent campus tours.
How to apply
Applications for 2017/18 are now closed. However, if you would like to register your interest to apply next October 2018, please email Emma at email@example.com and you will be added to a mailing list and sent an application form next Autumn, when we re-open again.
If you have any questions about the scheme, please email Emma Ingle at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 020 7594 2867.