Further mA*ths Online Programme
This programme supports A-level Further Mathematics students who are considering studying a maths-related degree at university.
Through this programme you will:
- Develop the skills you need to achieve an A* in A-level Further Mathematics.
- Build your confidence to apply to universities that require an A* in Further Mathematics for your chosen subject.
During the programme, you will receive tailored online support, including online mentoring and face-to-face masterclasses* at Imperial College London. This initiative runs in collaboration with Mathematics in Education and Industry (MEI).
We will run our first cohort of the programme this academic year for Year 12 students. The programme is due to launch its first Year 13 cohort in Autumn 2021.
Please note: This programme is for students studying A-Level Further Mathematics. We also run an A-Level Mathematics programme which can be found here. Although you can apply to both programmes, you will only be allowed a place on one. Therefore, we encourage students to think carefully before they apply and to try to select the programme they would most like to participate in.
*Due to the challenges associated with the pandemic, the masterclasses will now be held online until it is deemed safe to hold face-to-face events again.
What can I expect?
One-day introductory masterclass
Here, you will begin to explore elements of A-Level Further Mathematics, looking at the transition from GCSE to A-level.
You will take part in workshops based on topics from the A-level Further Mathematics curriculum to support your learning. Sessions will be run by Imperial academics and students, as well as partners from MEI.
Saturday 16 January 2021
Two eight-week MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses)
These courses have been carefully designed to fit with the A-level Further Mathematics curriculum, focusing on some of the key topics and trickier content, in a structured series.
Content is delivered in a variety of ways including videos, practice questions and assessments, covering a range of methods and applications. You will also receive ongoing online mentoring from current Imperial students.
During the spring-summer terms 2021.
Closing one-day masterclass
This will focus on the awkward and difficult topics from A-level Further Mathematics.
The day will include workshops supported by Imperial academics, the Imperial student mentors and external partners from MEI.
The first Year 13 cohort of the course is due to launch in Autumn 2021. We will update the webpage closer to the time with more details.
Can I apply?
We are looking forward to seeing applications from students with a passion for mathematics.
You will need to meet the following requirements:
- If applying for the Year 12 Cohort you must currently be in Year 12.
- You are studying at least three A-levels including Mathematics and Further Mathematics.
- You have achieved eight GCSEs with a minimum of six GCSEs graded at 7-9 (or A/A* level), including science and mathematics.
- You are capable of achieving an A grade in A-level Further Mathematics, even if you may not feel certain of this.
- You are willing to travel to Imperial up to three times a year on scheduled weekend dates.
You are planning to apply for university courses with a large mathematical component.
This programme aims to support students from backgrounds that are under-represented in higher education. We will use the data you provide to assess your eligibility for the programme.
We will ask questions to see if any of the following criteria apply to you:
- You are eligible for free school meals.
- Your family income is below £50,000/year.
- You have been in care or are a young carer.
- You are studying in a school in the UK that has below average attainment or with a high percentage of students receiving free school meals.
- Your parents do not have a university degree.
- You live in an area with low participation in Higher Education.
You do not have to be based in London to apply to the programme. Due to the large online element, we strongly encourage applications from students across the country.
How do I apply?
Applications are open for the programme starting on Saturday 16 January 2021.
Before applying, please read our Application FAQs.
Application deadline: 23:59 on Tuesday 24 November 2020.
We are not due to launch our Year 13 programme until Autumn 2021.
Please carefully check that you are applying to the correct programme when completing your application form and that you have chosen the Further mA*ths Online Programme; as we also run an A-Level Mathematics Programme.