Y12 Work Experience Programme
At a glance
- Five days (9–13 July 2018)
- Year 12 students
- Eligibility criteria apply
- Applications are now closed
- Decisions will be sent out on 26 April
This non-residential programme aims to provide students with an insight into the exciting world of research that we are proud of here at Imperial College London. Students will apply to one of the following departments:
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Life Sciences
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- National Heart and Lung Institute
During the 5 day programme students will be introduced to current research being conducted within their chosen department as well as meeting and shadowing the researchers involved. They will have access to research and teaching laboratories, workshops and specialist technical suites.
As well as experiencing the world of academic research, students will also be given talks relevant to applying to university covering topics such as writing effective personal statements and interview skills. Students will also meet undergraduate mentors studying within their department of choice.
At the end of the week there will be an academic-style conference where students will work in small groups to present a poster and short oral presentation about their time on the programme to their peers, leaders and invited guests.
Please note that there are specific A-level (or equivalent) subject requirements for each department as follows:
- To apply for Electrical and Electronic Engineering you need to be studying Maths and Physics.
- To apply for Life Sciences you need to be studying Biology plus another Science or Maths.
- To apply for Materials Science and Engineering you need to be studying Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
- To apply for Mechanical Engineering you need to be studying Maths and Physics.
- To apply for National Heart and Lung Institute you need to be studying Biology.
- To apply for Physics you need to be studying Physics and Maths.
Please note that placements within Life Sciences and the National Heart and Lung Institute are aimed at those wanting to study Life Sciences (e.g. biology, biochemistry, biological sciences, ecology and microbiology) and not prospective medical students.
If you have any queries in regards to your application or summer schools in general, please see our General FAQs in the first instance.
If your query is not answered in the FAQs, please email us via email@example.com or phone +44 (0) 20 7594 7328.
Want to stay up to date with Imperial outreach events? Click on the links below to follow us on our social media sites and follow the hashtag, #icoutreach