Doctoral students (PhDs)
The experience of doing a PhD at Imperial will open many career opportunities and there is time during a PhD to explore career ideas, reflect on what you want from a career and plan for an effective transition when you graduate. The Careers Service is here to support you.
PhD Careers Fair and Skills Workshops
During May-June each year we run a season of careers events for PhD students including:
- PhD Careers Fair: a chance to meet a range of employers interested in hiring PhDs from Imperial
- PhD Skills Workshops: employer-led workshops designed to give you an insight into career areas such as consultancy, patent law, quant finance and more
- PhD Careers Panel: a chance to hear from PhD alumni about their careers
Details of these events will be available on our JobsLive system in April each year.
You can use JobsLive all year round to access:
- Internships and jobs advertised specifically to Imperial students
- Access to the many talks and presentations from employers happening every week year round
- Talks about career-related skills such as making applications, interviewing and career planning
- Book one to one appointments to discuss your career plans or get individual support with applications and interviews
- The Imperial Careers Service publication, 'CVs and Cover Letters', which includes examples you can use to produce your own effective, professional job application documents
- How to write an academic CV [pdf]
The Graduate School
- An Introduction to Career Planning for 1st and 2nd Year PhDs
- Effective CVs and Applications
- Job Search with a Difference
- Preparing for Interviews
Find out the times/dates and sign up at Graduate School: Careers
If you are an international student it is important to know about the visas available if you want to work in the UK after graduation. Find out more from the international students section of our website, and the Imperial International Student Team.
The Postdoc and Fellows Development Centre (PFDC)
The PFDC supports postdocs and fellows in Imperial with their careers. Much of the information on their website is also helpful for PhD students for developing an academic career e.g. resources for finding funding, guidance on writing research proposals