Equality and diversity
There are many policies and legislative measures in place to ensure that equality and diversity is duly taken into account by employers in the recruitment process.
On this page are some resources on areas that we are frequently receive questions on in relation to applications and job offers.
- The Equality Act 2010 - legal framework to more effectively tackle disadvantage and discrimination
- GOV.UK - Working, Jobs and Pensions - employment rights and advice
- HM Revenue & Customs - comprehensive information and advice about income tax, national insurance, pensions, etc.
- Student Tax Services - tax information service especially aimed at students
- Age UK - formed when Age Concern and Help The Aged merged
- Help and support for older workers - a government website that provides guidance about employing older workers and working past 50
- EFA (Employers Forum on Age) - the EFA is an independent network of leading employers who recognise the value of an age diverse workforce. In addition to supporting employers, the EFA influences Government, business and trade unions
- TAEN - The Age and Employment Network is an independent not-for-profit organisation. Its goal is to help remove age barriers to employment
- Equality and Human Rights Commission - news and advice on equality issues, including race
- Moving On [pdf] - a guide to employability for black, asian and minority ethnic (BAME) students and graduates
- TargetEvents - often targeted at ethnic minorities, TargetEvents offer unique experiences for students interested in a wide and growing range of sectors, including consulting, engineering, fund management, investment banking, law, professional services, public sector, real estate, retail and technology
- Windsor Fellowship - the Windsor Fellowship provides highly desirable internships with top companies in the UK for black and minority ethnic students
- Athena Forum - the project's aims are the advancement and promotion of the careers of women in science, engineering and technology (SET) in higher education and research to achieve a significant increase in the number of women recruited to top posts
- Athena Swan
- Daphne Jackson Trust - the Daphne Jackson Trust enables scientists, engineers and IT specialists to return to work after career breaks
- Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowships - The Royal Society invites, in particular, female candidates to apply for an opportunity that is designed to help successful candidates to progress to permanent academic positions in the UK
- STEM Women - Since this initial assignment STEM Women has assisted over 100 graduate employers, helping companies attract female applicants to their graduate scheme, internship and placement opportunities
- Women in Technology - information portal for women working in technology
- Women's Engineering Society - the Women's Engineering Society is a professional, not for profit network of women engineers, scientists and technologists offering inspiration, support and professional development
- Women into Science, Engineering & Construction (WISE) - the WISE campaign collaborates with industry and education to encourage more UK females into STEM or construction related courses and careers
- Circa-Club - this online social and business gay network for gay professional men is free to join and includes lists of gay business
- Diversity Matters - Sexual Orientation - Information from TARGET Jobs. Find out more about your rights and disclosure.
- Graduate Prospects - advice on the handling of discrimination issues from Prospects
- Stonewall - the latest information on sexuality discrimination issues in the workplace along with frequently asked question by employers and employees
The Careers Service offer support to students who may face specifice obstacles in entering the work force. We provide more detailed information and advice in relation to employment for students who identify as disabled, having a specific learning difficulty or long term health conditions which can be found on our Services for students with disabilities webpage.
Areas covered include:
- Diversity recruiters
- Disclosing a disability
- Reasonable adjustments
- Useful links