Applications for 2017 Charity Insights closed on Friday 12 May. Successful students will be posting blog entries over the summer, so you can follow their Charity Insights journeys!
Charity Insights is a Careers Service initiative developed for Imperial undergraduate and PhD students. It offers students a chance to experience working in the UK not-for-profit sector through a short internship. The internships are full-time for four weeks in length (or a part-time equivalent) and can be taken at any point during the summer.
The scheme requires you to find your own internship within a charitable organisation based in the UK and define a project with them. Imperial College Careers Service will then offer you £300 a week over the four weeks. Read our blog and case studies to find out more about the projects that past Charity Insights students have undertaken and ideas on the kinds of projects you could get involved in!
How do I apply?
- You must be a current Imperial College undergraduate or PhD student who will be continuing with their studies at Imperial in the next academic year
- The organistion you complete the internship with should be a UK registered charity and you must be based in a UK office
- You should have a distinct 'graduate level' project to complete in the four weeks
- The Careers Service must be provided with a contact name within the charity.
- Read our FAQs [pdf] to find out more about the scheme
- Search for an internship or directly approach charities
- With your host charity, define a project for your internship
- Ask the charity organisation to read and complete our Organisation Guide and Form (Charity Insights 2017)
- At the same time, complete the Student Application Form online, attaching a copy of you CV.
Applications for Summer 2017 closed at 23.59 on Friday 12 May.
What is a 'graduate level' project?
Students have undertaken Charity Insights internships in a wide range of organisations, so there is not a definitive 'graduate level' project that has been successful in receiving the bursary. However, the Charity Insights bursary isn't for general volunteering as a fundraiser, or helping around the office. Projects should be at a level that presents you a challenge in applying your skills and offers an opportunity to develop these further. The project should also be your personal focus for the duration of the 4 weeks, and have clear aims and objectives about what you are setting out to achieve.
HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS?
If you are unsure whether you will meet these criteria, please book an Internship Consultation via JobsLive to discuss this with a Placement & Internship Adviser or email us. For more detail on previous projects that were successfully awarded funding, please visit the blog.
Timetable of deadlines and events
|February - May||Applications open. Research charities and make speculative applications via CV and covering letter to organisations of interest. Get help from the Placement & Internship unit by booking an Internship Consultation. Email us for availability.|
|12 May||Deadline for completed Charity Insights application forms & CV|
|End May - early June||Shortlisted applicants will be invited to an interview in the Careers Service. This will require you to give a short presentation of your proposed project and answer some questions from the interview panel|
|June||Pre-internship workshop for successful Charity Insights participants|
|July - September||Complete your four week internship (or part-time equivalent of 20 full working days)|
|October||Post internship celebration event|
Please note this is an indicative timetable and dates may change.