Alumni Mentoring Scheme
The Careers Service is pleased to offer students the opportunity to be mentored by a professional alumnus working in your chosen field of interest, or a related profession. The aim of the scheme is to encourage personal and professional growth, and all eligible students are welcome to apply. Mentoring partnerships will officially run for just under a year starting in November.
The Mentors are Imperial alumni who have volunteered their time to provide support to students and have committed to a minimum of six meetings with their Mentees. Please note that participation on the scheme is not work experience, or intended to lead to an offer of employment with the Mentor’s company.
The scheme will be open for applications in October 2020. Register your interest via the scheme on the 'Exclusive Opportunities' tab on your JobsLive profile to get up to date information on when applications open. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are an Imperial alum interested in being a mentor please visit the mentor page.
How do I apply?
Applications to be a student mentee will open in the Autumn Term.
The application form will ask you to outline the industry and sectors that you are interested in, alongside your objectives in being mentored. The Alumni Mentoring scheme is designed to broaden your understanding of the job market and as such you will not apply to a specific alumni profile but will instead be assigned to a mentor that best fits your expressed interests. As a result, you should give as much information as possible in your application so we can make the best possible match.
Successful applicants will be sent further details about the scheme and invited to Alumni Mentoring Scheme Introduction event to meet their Mentor and receive a brief training session.
Should the scheme become over-subscribed, priority will be given to students from disadvantaged backgrounds and underrepresented groups. In line with the College's Outreach criteria, we will prioritise applications from:
- Students who have been in care
- Students who have been a carer
- Students with a disability
- Students receiving the maximum Imperial Bursary
- Students who are the first in their family to attend university
- Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic students
- Female students
The scheme is open for any student of Imperial College London who will have a full academic year ahead from Autumn 2020. The Alumni Mentoring Scheme is not open to Business School students.
Although students who have taken part in previous years of the scheme are eligible to apply, priority will be given to first-time applications.
Benefits of joining the scheme
The primary aim of the scheme is to provide an insight into the world of work and help you make the transition from student to working graduate, developing your professional skills and commercial awareness. Benefits participants from previous years have fed back to us included:
- Professional insight into your chosen industry or career
- Increased knowledge of what working in a certain sector involves and the typical networking and recruitment processes
- Greater self-awareness of your transferrable skills and those you need to develop
- Ideas and strategies for developing these skills
- Understanding options and opportunities for gaining experience in your chosen sector
- Improved self-confidence and increased self-assurance in your own abilities