Take away publications
Available from the careers service
A dedicated quiet space
To study and do your careers research
The Careers Service is located on the fifth floor of the Sherfield building, our Careers Centre is home to our careers library, reception desk, seminar room, takeaway publications and handouts.
Enquiries and information desk
- Booking an appointment/event- Although most bookings can be done through JobsLive, some events require you to leave a deposit to confirm your place. You can come to the Careers Service to leave your deposit/book a place/cancel a place.
- JobsLive- If you are having any problems with JobsLive then you can get in contact with us to help you resolve the issue.
- Mock interviews/telephone appointments- If you need help booking a mock interview or a telephone appointment we can help you with this. All you need to do is call/email or come in and see us.
- Resources- If you are struggling to find resources or practice tests we can advise you of where you can find them. We have lots of resources on our website, alternatively, you can come into the Careers Service and look through our library.
Careers library resources
- Career Options Folders- Find out more about the steps you need to make to get to your dream job role. Our Careers Options Folders have all the relevant information you need to know to help support your journey into a happy career.
- Company Information Folders- Up to date information on top companies.
- Occupational Information
- Further Study/Work Abroad
- Application and Selection
A quiet place to study with career-focused resources at your fingertips. We have two round tables that seat approximately 3-4 people each. We also have a rectangular table that can seat six people comfortably.
- There are three Interview Rooms (A, B and C) adjacent to the Careers Library, which is used by our Careers Consultants and Internship Advisers for Careers and Internship Consultations with students. For further information about our range of appointments, please see our appointments webpages.
- An Employer Room is available for employers to book, and we run a number of events through this room, including a series of Recruiter in Residence sessions, mock interviews with employers, and also Careers Consultations with Careers Consultants. You can search all of our events via JobsLive.
- A Seminar Room is at the centre of the Careers Service, and throughout the year we run regular sessions covering a variety of careers related topics. We’ve themed our sessions into four categories from fast-paced introductions (intensives) through to longer more practical sessions (labs). See more about these events here under ‘seminars and workshops’.
If you have an interview coming up and need a quiet space to complete it, contact us to book one of our rooms. If there is availability, then we are happy to assist, but please note that these rooms are used for Careers Events and Careers Consultations, and at times we are very busy with appointments.
If you are looking for written guides to help you plan your career path, why not come to the careers service and pick up one of our main publications (also available on our website)
Imperial Guide to Career Planning 2018/19- This guide is designed for all undergraduates and postgraduates, whether you are planning a career in academia, industry, commerce, public service or a profession – or simply have no idea what you want to do.
Career Choice 2018/19- Listing of Careers Service activities (including employer presentations, employer-led skills workshops, careers talks and more).
Imperial Guide to CVs- This booklet has been produced by the Careers Service to show a range of different CVs devised to cover a number of scenarios. There are examples from undergraduates, Masters and PhD level students, and the CVs have been tailored for a variety of positions - internships/placements, graduate roles, postgraduate study applications, academia, and industry.
Other available publications:
- The Times Top 100
- Target Jobs- Engineering/ Finance/ Teaching/ IT & Technology/ Consulting/Property/ Law
- Your Guide to Placements, Internships and Insights 2018-2019
- IP Careers- Chartered Patent Attorneys 2018-2019
- The Job Crowd-Top Companies for Graduates to Work for 2018-2019
- Accountancy Careers-Chartered Accountancy 2018-2019
- Insurance Careers- The Insurance Profession 2018-2019
- Actuarial Careers- The Actuarial Profession 2018-2019
- Postgraduate Loans and Other UK Funding- A Guide for 2018-2019
- Law Careers.net Handbook
- The Beginners Guide to a Career in Law
- Guardian UK 300
- Handouts- For example Written Exercises, CV, Cover Letter and many more...