Advanced Concrete Materials
On successfully completing this module, students will be able to:
- Understand the applications of special materials and advanced processes relating to modern concrete construction.
- Explain how the composition and microstructure of cementitious materials affect their properties and performance.
- Evaluate advanced concrete materials and recommend technical solutions for sustainable infrastructure development.
- Assess the latest advances and innovations in concrete technology, and explain their underpinning science.
- Develop an appreciation of the principles, challenges and limitations of service-life prediction.
This module will cover:
- Special cements, aggregates and admixtures: calcium aluminate cement, oil-well cement, expansive cement, pumping aids, corrosion inhibitors and waterproofing admixtures. Alternative low-carbon binders including alkali-activated and magnesium-based cements.
- Further aspects of fresh and hardened concrete: rheology, fire resistance, self-healing, acid attack, salt crystallisation, abrasion, efflorescence and delayed ettringite formation.
- Recent advances in concrete technology: light/heavy-weight concrete, high-performance concrete, self-compacting concrete, shotcrete, underwater concrete, fibre-reinforced concrete, no-fines concrete, mass concrete and roller-compacted concrete.
- Service life assessment and modelling.
Pre-Requisite for Stuctures MSc Students: CIVE97093 Concrete Materials
2 hour written examinations (100%)