MSc Advanced Computing regulations
In order to pass the MSc students have to satisfy all of the following requirements:
- An aggregated mark of at least 50% on 9 components which must be made up in one of the following ways:
- 8 taught courses and one practical component (Prolog or Software Engineering for Industry)
- 7 taught courses and two practical components (Prolog and Software Engineering for Industry)
- (a) or (b) above, with 1 taught course replaced by an ISO.
- Normally, a mark of at least 50% on each of the 9 components. No mark below 40% is accepted as a condoned pass mark.
- A mark of at least 51% on the individual project.
Coursework associated with a course normally contributes 10% to the assessment of the course. The exceptions are:
- 20% for Prolog
- 33% for Software Reliability
- 100% for Software Engineering for Industry
In order to be considered for the MSc with DISTINCTION students have to satisfy all of the following requirements:
- Pass the MSc
- An aggregated mark of at least 70% on the 9 components
- A mark of at least 71% on the individual project.
In order to be considered for the MSc with MERIT students have to satisfy all of the following requirements:
- Pass the MSc, but without DISTINCTION
- An aggregated mark of at least 60% on the 9 components
- A mark of at least 61% on the individual project.
If a candidate who has been examined in all the components fails to satisfy the Board of Examiners, the Board will determine which components (including which examination papers) he/she will have to retake on re-entry. These elements are normally selected from those in which the candidate has a mark less than 50%. All failed components, including the practical components ((Prolog and Software Engineering for Industry), will have to be retaken the following year. Only one retake is possible for each component. A candidate re-entering any part of the examination will normally only be credited with a bare pass mark if successful. Re-entry candidates may also not normally be considered for a merit or distinction classification.
There is no Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma available for partial completion of this MSc programme.