MRes in Advanced Computing regulations
In order to pass the MRes students have to satisfy all of the following requirements:
- An aggregated mark of at least 50% on 9 components which must be made up as follows :
- 4 taught courses,
- 1 long research project, or 2 short research projects (in total counting as 4 modules),
- the Academic Writing course.
- Normally, a mark of at least 50% on each of the components listed above. No mark below 40% is accepted as a condoned pass mark.
- A mark of at least 51% on the individual project.
Coursework associated with a course normally contributes 10% to the assessment of the course. The exceptions are:
33% for Machine Learning
20% for Prolog
100% for Software Engineering for Industry
In the Prolog course the Laboratory test contributes 80% of the Laboratory mark, with the laboratory courseworks representing the remaining 20%.
In order to be considered for the MRes with DISTINCTION students have to satisfy all of the following requirements:
- Pass the MRes
- An aggregated mark of at least 70% on the 9 components
- A mark of at least 71% on the individual project.
In order to be considered for the MRes with MERIT students have to satisfy all of the following requirements:
- Pass the MRes, but without DISTINCTION
- An aggregated mark of at least 60% on the 9 components
- A mark of at least 61% on the individual project.
If a candidate who has been examined in all the components fails to satisfy the Board of Examiners, the Board will determine which components (including which examination papers) he/she will have to retake on re-entry. These elements are normally selected from those in which the candidate has a mark of less than 50%. All failed components, including the practical components (e.g. Prolog or Software Engineering for Industry), will have to be retaken the following year. Only one retake is possible for each component. A candidate re-entering any part of the examination will normally only be credited with a bare pass mark if successful. Re-entry candidates may also not normally be considered for a merit or distinction classification.
A Postgraduate Certificate and Postgraduate Diploma are not available on this programme.