Paediatric allergy - basic introduction
5 - 6 December 2018
This short course will cover important national initiatives in Allergy;
- basic immunological mechanisms
- T cells and cytokines
- adhesion and co-stimulatory molecules
- allergens and allergic inflammation
- ontogeny of immune responses
- genetic regulation
- epidemiology of allergic disease
- the immunological basis of asthma
- food allergy
- drug allergy
- To explain the immune mechanisms involved in allergic disease
- To describe and discuss the diagnostic tests available for the presence of allergy
- To evaluate the most up-to-date treatments for asthma, eczema, rhinitis, food allergy, drug allergy and venom allergy and relate their use to the underlying immune processes.
- To be able to use knowledge and understanding of immune mechanisms, diagnostic tests and allergy treatments in the management of an allergic patient
- To assess and appraise research methods employed in investigating the processes of allergic diseases
- To interpret the new research findings and investigate how they can be applied to improving the management of allergic patients
Who should attend?
This course will benefit paediatricians, GPs, nurses, therapists, and other healthcare professionals involved in Child Health.
As the course is a multi-professional programme, students will develop an understanding of how their own individual behaviours, and those of the teams within which they work, can have a significant influence on the quality of care delivered.
The courses are designed to deliver flexible learning suited to the demanding lives of healthcare professionals. All comprise of face–to–face teaching including lectures, workshops, and supported by online learning and resources.
Participants have the option of completing an assessment component and on completion will be provided with an official Imperial College London transcript of results. Details of the assessment and deadline for submission will be given during the course. Please note that there is an additional assessment fee payable in full prior to submission date. Please contact us for further information.
Comments from past participants
"Excellent – would strongly recommend to do it in your training year"
"Great, informative, gives in-depth insight into some of the concepts relevant to practice which would improve your understanding and rationale to provide a better service"
"Teachers were brilliant – made very dry subjects very interesting – all were very well up to date and current"