Open Days

Date to be announced in due course.

I already have an Msci, do I still need to take the MRes in Controlled Quantum Dynamics?

The MRes degree is focussed at getting you ready to perform specialised research in the field of Controlled Quantum Dynamics, and the courses from only 50% of the overall MRes assessment. Most of the students already have a taught Masters degree of one form or another

What will be on the course syllabus?

The first 6 months will consist of taught courses whereas the second 6 month period will be devoted to a project. More details can be found on the programme content, CQD Term 1 2015-16programme specification and the MRes Handbook 17/18 

How many students do you expect to take each year?

Typically we will accept 10 students onto the course, generally half will be theory and half experimental but there is no fixed quota for either of these groups. 

Do I have to state that I'm interested in Theory or Experiment when applying?

If you are certain where your interests lie in terms of the theory versus experiment divide then say so clearly. We take genuinely undecided students every year, and the ability to crossover is part of what makes this CDT unique. However, for undecided students we need to be confident you could make it as both a theoretician and an experimentalist – and this means a broader range of criteria you will need to satisfy. Bear in mind that we typically have more theory applicants than experimentalists, so it is generally tougher to receive an offer as a theory student.

How can I find out about potential supervisors?

Please see the people page for a list of academic staff involved in the CDT. Students can also be co-supervised by UK researchers in the industry or in other universities

Is there a list with PhD project proposals available?

Each year we solicit project proposals from potential supervisors both at Imperial College London and other UK institutions. Currently we have some example project proposals that can guide you. We expect the list to vary a lot from year to year. Each proposal details a short 6 month project for the first year, which lets the CDT students see if this really is what they want to continue with for their PhD.

Is it possible to start working with a particular supervisor immediately?

It is our hope that a large proportion of students will move on to do their PhD with the person that acted as their first year project supervisor. This has obvious advantages, but there is flexibility. It will be possible to have a different supervisor for the 1st year project and for the PhD. However, it will not be possible to formally arrange to have a specific supervisor at the time of starting a CDT studentship.

What is the difference between a university and a partner PhD project?

Very little, other than the source of the funding. Our partner research labs, Toshiba and the National Physical Laboratory, offer support for PhD students. If you decide to take one of these positions, you will do the same coursework and outreach activities as the rest of the cohort during the MRes, but you must select one of the partners’ research projects. You will still have a choice between various projects at our partners. The projects they offer reflect their research interests in controlled quantum dynamics. The advantage is that we can make offers for these positions earlier, on a first come first served basis, rather than waiting until March for the regular CQD interviews. Of course, if you go through the regular CQD interview process and are accepted into the doctoral training centre, you can still pick an MRes+PhD project with one of the partners.

Am I eligible for funding?

In most circumstances full funding  is available for UK  citizens who are resident in the UK. This covers the tuition fees and a tax free monthly stipend in the range of £1,299.

As an EU citizen am I eligible for funding from the CDT?

If you have been studying in the UK for a minimum of three years prior to joining the CDT, or are otherwise ordinarily resident in the UK, you should get full funding from the CDT. Otherwise you are eligible for funding to cover tuition fees only. However, with effect from the 2010/11 academic year, we are able to fully fund one student from the EU/Overseas who has not necessarily lived in the UK prior to joining the CDT. The studentship will cover tuition fees and stipend at EU rates and will be offered competitively. Please ask our office contact for more details.

As an overseas student from outside the EU, am I eligible for funding from the CDT?

 The situation with overseas students is more restricted than with home or EU students. Basically there are two routes for an overseas student to join us (other than completely self-funding or coming with a scholarship from their home country):

1. Imperial Scholarships. Please contact us early if you are interested in Imperial Scholarships. These are very competitive. For a successful application, you will need to provide evidence that you are in the very top percentage of students. There are several rounds of scholarships; if we think you have a strong case we may be able to interview in order to make a conditional offer for one of the early rounds. The final round of applications for the Imperial Scholarship is due in early April, which is several weeks after we have the CDT interviews. If we are impressed by you we may make you an offer conditional on you obtaining the Imperial Scholarship. Note that the scholarship is only for 3.5 years whereas our course of MRes+PhD is 4 years, and so we undertake to pay the overseas fees and the standard PhD stipend (which is slightly less than the Imperial Scholarship stipend) for the extra 6 months.

 2. Non-UK studentships. We also have one full studentship that we are allowed to use on a non-UK student each year. However this studentship only pays fees at the same level as a home-student, and so typically is most suitable for an EU student (as EU students only pay the same fees as UK students). However if you can find a way to make up difference in fees, then this studentship is also available to an overseas student.

It should be noted that for both of these possibilities the scholarship would limit you to an Imperial College member of staff as your primary supervisor.

Are there other sources of funding available to me?

For the most up to date information on funding available from Imperial College please visit the postgraduate scholarships site. You may also be interested in information on the Schrödinger Scholarship Scheme.

Can I only do the first year MRes degree?

A limited number of places are available for self funded students to join the CDT for the first year and obtain a Masters of Research (MRes) degree provided they meet the admission criteria. A Postgraduate Certificate and Postgraduate Diploma are not available on this programme. Please contact us for more information about this option. More information can be found on the programme specification.

External Students

How much time will externally supervised students have to spend at Imperial?

Externally supervised students would have to spend essentially all of the first 6 months at Imperial College London. Students doing either 1st year projects or PhD projects with an external supervisor are likely to spend the majority of their time at the collaborating institution. The details of what is appropriate for a given student will be assessed on a case by case basis. However, there will be certain activities which an externally supervised student must return to the Imperial College London for (summer schools, transferable skills training etc).

What would I need to do in order to set up a joint supervision with an external supervisor?

The supervisor needs to be invited to submit project proposals for a 1st year project and a PhD project, preferably in the same general area. We will be contacting identified potential collaborators, but other potential collaborators should contact any of the CDT directors if they would like to apply.