Delivery of these short courses will be suspended during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not run in 2021. Please check back on the website for an update in early 2022.
This course will link the differing aspects of obesity medicine into a cohesive syllabus to give bariatric surgeons and healthcare practitioners a greater insight into the overall management of the obese patient.
Themes, aims and teaching
Cross-cutting areas range from epidemiology and genetics to clinical governance of a bariatric service. Teaching is delivered face to face and in practical workshops. Themes and topics include:
- causes of obesity
- pathophysiology of obesity
- obesity-related illnesses
- assessment and investigation of the obese patient
- medical management for patients undergoing bariatric surgery
- dietary interventions for weight loss
- physical activity in obesity management
- pharmacotherapy in obesity management
- psychology of the morbidly obese patient and the role of psychological and psychiatric interventions
Who is the course suitable for
The Obesity Medicine short course welcomes surgeons, surgeons in training, healthcare practitioners, physiotherapists, nurses, dietitians, nutritionists and multidisciplinary support staff involved in the care and treatment of the obese patient. Discounts are available for NHS employees.
What to expect
- World-class tuition and expertise from the domain of bariatrics, with the opportunity to work alongside masters students and get a ‘taster’ opportunity for attendees with an eye on postgraduate study.
- The option to take part in formal assessment at Masters level in a world class university and receive a transcript from Imperial College London or if assessment isn’t required you can opt for a certificate of attendance for your portfolio.
- The course is intense, Monday to Friday and nine to five.
There are 20 places available
- £2,000 External
- £1,200 NHS Employee
Certificate of Attendance fees
- £1,000 External Medical Professional
- £800 External Allied healthcare professional
- £700 NHS Employee Medical professional
- £400 NHS Employee allied healthcare professional
To apply for this short course, please contact the Course Organiser Mr Ahmed Ahmed (email@example.com) with a brief ‘application' (i.e. a short CV and a brief statement explaining why the course is relevant to their educational/professional practice). We will notify you of the outcome within two weeks of your receiving your application.
Once your place is confirmed, you will be sent further information on how to register for either the attendance or credit bearing option.
You should provide a brief letter of support from your employer if they are paying your fees.