Dr Petar Kormushev
+44 (0)20 7594 9235
Assessment & Weighting
ECTS Credits: 5
Learning OutcomesOn successful completion of the module, students should be able to:
- Understand fundamental algorithms and data structures for programming
- Recognize and describe common programming constructs in Python
- Explain and demonstrate how to edit and debug programs
- Predict what a segment of code will produce (tracing)
- Distinguish programming approach and constructs best suited to a particular problem
- Analyse a problem and design a programmatic solution
- Develop a program
- Critically evaluate programming solutions
- Test programs
- Reflect on approach and solutions
Description of ContentThis module aims to introduce students to computer programming. They will learn the Python programming language using the Jupyter Notebook environment.
The module will focus on the fundamental algorithms and data structures that are the foundations of computer programming in any language. By the end of the module students should be able to write moderately complex programs based on the Python language and be able to transition easily to other high-level languages, such as Java, C# .NET, C++, etc.
The idea of this introductory course is to lay a foundation such that the students can undertake independent learning for application-specific programming in their subsequent work. The module teaching style is very hands-on, using a blended/hybrid teaching approach which intertwines short lectures with practical programming exercises.