Dr Marco Aurisicchio
+44 (0)20 7594 7095
Learning OutcomesOn successful completion of the module, students should be able to:
- Use standard methods to propose potential solutions to a sustainable design problem
- Analyse a product and be able to identify if it addresses sustainability principles
- Select an appropriate method to design for sustainability
- Prototype a product or product component safely, using manual and machine tools.
- Communicate concepts and detail designs using both freehand sketches and CAD solid model based engineering drawings
Description of ContentThe module aims to develop students’ competence and self-confidence in the key elements of the sustainable design process.
- To further students’ knowledge of sustainability in the design process;
- To develop students’ skills in the analysis of existing products by reverse engineering;
- To develop students’ skills in the generation of detailed understanding of customer needs, product functions and design and manufacturing solutions;
- To develop students’ creative abilities in designing sustainable
- products and product-service systems;
- To develop basic skills in considering environmental issues and selecting sustainable materials and manufacturing processes;
- To provide students with a range of experiences, group and individual, of the design and manufacture process.
- Sustainable product design: Sustainable development; liner and circular economies; sustainable product design; product lifecycle analysis; strategies and principles to reduce impact; sustainable design standards.
- Service design: Service design process models; product-service systems.
- Sustainable materials and manufacturing: Case studies of sustainable materials applied to design.
- Design methods: Systems engineering and systems thinking; design for manufacture, assembly and disassembly; design for lifecycle, design for reuse, remanufacture, recycling, and design for energy minimisation;
- Design economics: business case analysis; product development economic analysis.