Engineering Design Project
Prof. Saeema Ahmed-Kristensen
+44 (0)20 7594 8843
Learning OutcomesOn successful completion of the module, students should be able to:
- Developing design specifications and a detailed brief incorporating technology function and user requirements
- Learn to identify technologies suitable for realising functions
- Apply design thinking to develop innovative design solutions
- Understand and apply concepts for realising design solutions including; robustness and verification
- Gain understanding and apply Agile Development process
- Work effectively in a team and be aware of roles, group dynamics and team working
- Learn to present concepts in physical, verbal and portfolio formats
Description of ContentDesign Engineering course focusing on holistic design processes applied to an engineering design problem. The course takes students through an engineering design problem from requirements through to final prototype and manufacturing specification/drawings.
Students will select and apply appropriate computer tools, such as: Finite Element Analysis, solid modelling, rapid manufacturing, computer-aided machining, and computer numerical control manufacturing.
The course provides understanding and application of design thinking through an engineering design and build project exploring the application of engineering analysis to support detailed design. To this effect students will develop and apply learning through lectures, tutorials, labs with a strong emphasis on self-study group working. This will include developing concepts through to realisation expressed in a working prototypes and lookalike models.