Who needs evidence and why?

students armSo that disabled students can access their studies in the same way as other students, the College may need to make some adjustments. These are called 'reasonable adjustments' and can take many different forms.

Any student declaring a disability to the College will need to provide evidence of their difficulties before any reasonable adjustments can be put in place. This is so the College can ensure that it is following the advice of the professional who assessed you, and so that the College know what kinds of support will help. We still require evidence even if your difficulties appear obvious.

Can I declare my disability without providing any evidence?

Yes, you can. The College does not require you to provide evidence in order to disclose your disability. However, the College is unable to put any additional arrangements in place for you without evidence from a qualified professional.

If you require alternative accommodation arrangements then these cannot be put in place without evidence.

What is acceptable evidence for my disability?

For health conditions, including mental ill-health conditions, evidence must come from your GP, the doctor or consultant at your hospital or outpatient clinic, your psychiatrist, or, with some more minor conditions, a qualified nurse. Your evidence must be on headed paper and include the address, signature and qualification of the practitioner.

For specific learning difficulties, reports must come from a qualified psychologist, or an assessor holding a PATOSS qualification. In order to apply for the Disabled Students' Allowance, reports must also have been carried out after your sixteenth birthday. If you were younger than this when you were assessed, then the Disability Advisory Service can advise you on how to get an updated report undertaken and how to fund this.

For Autistic Spectrum Conditions, evidence should come in the form of a letter from your GP or consultant, or a report from a psychiatrist. If your Autistic Spectrum Condition was diagnosed when you were young, the Disability Advisory Service will ask you to have an assessment with a psychologist once you start at Imperial College, to ensure that your support needs are fully identified.

If you have any questions about the validity of your evidence, then you can email your queries to disabilities@imperial.ac.uk.

What if my evidence is not in English?

Your evidence must be in English.  If it is not in English, you must have it translated by a professional translation service, at your own expense.  Please read the College's guidance on Translations (pdf)‌. 

We do not accept translations that are done by family members, teachers, etc.  

How to submit my evidence to the Disability Advisory Service

The Disability Advisory Service does not require original copies of your evidence.  We can accept photocopies or scans as well as emailed files.  When submitting your evidence, please include your CID number, if possible.

We strongly advise that all students submitting evidence should make an appointment so that students can discuss their evidence with an Advisor who is able to advise students what to do next.

What happens if I have insufficient evidence?

The Disability Advisory Service can advise students regarding insufficient or out of date evidence. We offer advice and can support students through the process of getting an updated report. If you do not have up to date evidence of a medical condition then you should go to the Student Health Centre or your own GP. The Disability Advisory Service can help with obtaining evidence of specific learning difficulties, like dyslexia, or assessments for Autistic Spectrum Conditions.

I have a temporary disability, for example, a broken arm. Where can I find support?

In these cases, students should approach the Departmental Disability Officer in their department. Should you wish to meet with an Advisor to discuss alternative avenues of support, then you can make an appointment.