Accidents and near misses
Accidents and near misses - general information
What should I do?
All accidents and near misses must be reported within four working days to the Departmental Safety Officer using the College's form available on the Departmental safety website.
What is a near miss?
This is defined on the College safety web site as: An undesired event or condition where no injury, ill health, damage or other loss occurs.
- Observation of unsafe conditions such as fire risks or faulty equipment.
- Observation of unsafe acts such as non-authorised personnel entering restricted areas.
- Falling or flying objects that do not make contact with individuals nor cause any significant property damage.
- Waste disposed of incorrectly.
- Failure of any equipment or associated systems that are in place to protect health and safety.
- Failure identified by statutory testing.
- Failure of building facilities, e.g. lift entrapments, lack of water supply, room temperature problems etc.