CAP Research Roulette
PhD students and Postdocs of the Control and Power Group present their research projects
Every week, one speaker (selected randomly two weeks in advance) will give a 15min talk followed by a 10min discussion. The talks might be conference contributions, initial research ideas of talks for the Late Stage Review or Early Stage Assessment.
After the talk, the participants will have coffee and cake/biscuits together in Faraday Cage. This provides an excellent opportunity to get in touch with the participants and have follow-up discussion with the speaker. Everyone is invited, with interest in the following topics spanning control and power:
- control theory and applications
- power electronics
- power systems and energy
- smart grids
Currently, the audience consists of MSc students, PhD students and Postdocs of the Control and Power group.
Contact: Jochen Cremer [email@example.com]
This week's talk
When & Where: 31/05/2018, Thursday, 15:00, EEE 1109
Speaker: Xi Zhang
Title: Economic Assessment of Alternative Heat Decarbonisation Strategies through Coordinated Operation with Electricity System
Abstract: Energy system integration can significantly enhance energy efficiency so as to bring dramatic economic and environmental benefits to multiple energy sectors. This presentation focuses on the coordinated planning and operation between the electricity system and heat system and investigate the corresponding benefits. Electric heat pumps (HPs), hybrid heating technology and district heating networks (DHN) are the main low-carbon heating technologies that can deliver the ambitious carbon reduction target in the UK. The optimal design of the heating system on a national scale to maximize the economic benefits regarding both investment cost and operation cost while satisfying the carbon target remains an open question. This presentation aims to compare the economic advantages as well as the associated impacts on the electricity system under the full deployments of HPs, hybrid HP-Bs (HP and gas boilers) and DHNs.
- 21 May 2018 Georgios Anagnostou - "Identifying Unknown Dynamics in Power Systems"
- 15 May 2018 Michael Evans - "Capability assessment and optimal dispatch of distributed stores"
- 09 May 2018 Anastasios Oulis Rousis - "Optimal Design and Operation of a Hybrid AC/DC Microgrid"
- 02 May 2018 Efstratios Batzelis - "Mathematical models of explicit form for photovoltaic systems"
- 25 Apr 2018 James Wylie - "Modular Multi-level Converter with Increased Number of Effective Levels by using Asymmetric Sub-module Voltages for Medium Voltage Applications"
- 18 Apr 2018 Arghavan Nazemi - "Energy Management of Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicles"
- 04 Apr 2018 Firdous Ul Nazir – "Scenario based chance constrained Volt/VAR control in distribution systems"
- 21 Mar 2018 Luis Badesa Bernardo – "Optimal Provision of Frequency Services in Decarbonised Grids"
- 28 Feb 2018 Nicolas Faedo - "Optimal control of wave energy converters: fundamental principles and a moment-based approach"
- 21 Feb 2018 David Burth Kurka - "Git and Github for research management"
- 14 Feb 2018 Julio Perez Olvera - "Using Multi-terminal DC Networks to Improve the Hosting Capacity of Distribution Networks"
- 31 Jan 2018 Hussain Akhtar - "Optimal Energy Management of Microgrids"
- 17 Jan 2018 Francesca Boem - "Distributed Fault Detection for Interconnected Large-Scale Systems: a Scalable Plug & Play Approach"
- 10 Jan 2018 Temitayo Oderinwale - "Strategic Investment Planning incorporating demand flexibility"
- 13 Dec 2017 Nicolas Cifuentes - "Network Allocation of Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) considering stability criteria"
- 6 Dec 2017 Alexander Gallo - "A distributed attack detection method for multi-agent systems governed by consensus-based control"
- 29 Nov 2017 Omar Faqir - "Joint optimization of transmission and propulsion in aerial communication networks"
- 22 Nov 2017 Thiago Mendonca - "Distributed Coordination of Energy Resources for Improving Network Hosting Capacity"
- 15 Nov 2017 Alexandre Moreira - "An Adjustable Robust Optimization Approach for Contingency-Constrained Transmission Expansion Planning"