The Urban Energy Systems project resulted in many publications, a selection of which are listed here.
Urban Energy Systems: An Integrated Approach
Earthscan, 11 February 2013
Edited by James Keirstead and Nilay Shah
Paperback ISBN: 978-0-415-52902-0
Hardback ISBN: 978-0-415-52901-3
- 2011/12 Annual Report [PDF]
- 2010 Annual Report [PDF]
- 2009 Annual Report [PDF]
- 2008 Annual Report [PDF]
- 2007 Annual Report [PDF]
- 2006 Annual Report: Full report [PDF]
- 2006 Summary report [PDF]
- Towards UES Indicators [PDF] (July 2007)
- Modelling Transport: a Synthesis of Transport Modelling Methodologies [PDF]
- Jennings, M. G., Fisk, D.J., Shah, N. (2014). Modelling and optimization of retrofitting residential energy systems at the urban scale. Energy. doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2013.10.076
- Jennings, M. G., Shah, N. (2014). Workforce planning and technology installation optimisation for utilities. Computers and Industrial Engineering. doi: 10.1016/j.cie.2013.10.008
- Jennings, M. G. (2013). A smarter plan? A policy comparison between Great Britain and Ireland’s deployment strategies for rolling out new metering technologies. Energy Policy. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2013.02.017
- Jennings, M., Ó Gallachóir, B. P., & Schipper, L. (2013). Irish passenger transport: Data refinements, international comparisons, and decomposition analysis. Energy Policy. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2012.12.002
- Keirstead, J., & Calderon, C. (2012). Capturing spatial effects, technology interactions, and uncertainty in urban energy and carbon models: Retrofitting Newcastle as a case-study. Energy Policy, 46, 253–267. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2012.03.058
- Keirstead, J., Jennings, M., & Sivakumar, A. (2012). A review of urban energy system models: Approaches, challenges and opportunities. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16(6), 3847–3866. doi:10.1016/j.rser.2012.02.047
- Keirstead, J., Samsatli, N., Pantaleo, A. M., & Shah, N. (2012). Evaluating biomass energy strategies for a UK eco-town with an MILP optimization model. Biomass and Bioenergy, 39, 306–316. doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2012.01.022
- Keirstead, J., Samsatli, N., Shah, N., & Weber, C. (2012). The impact of CHP (combined heat and power) planning restrictions on the efficiency of urban energy systems. Energy, 41(1), 93–103. doi:10.1016/j.energy.2011.06.011
- Keirstead, J., & Shah, N. (2013). The changing role of optimization in urban planning. In A. Chinchuluun, P. M. Pardalos, R. Enkhbat, & S. Pistikopoulos (Eds.), Optimization, Simulation and Control (pp. 175–193). Springer. Retrieved from http://www.springer.com/mathematics/book/978-1-4614-5130-3
- Keirstead, J., & Sivakumar, A. (2012). Using Activity-Based Modeling to Simulate Urban Resource Demands at High Spatial and Temporal Resolutions. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16(6), 889–900. doi:10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00486.x
- Keirstead, J., & Van Dam, K. H. (2011). A survey on the application of conceptualisations in energy systems modelling. In P. E. Vermass & V. Dignum (Eds.), Formal Ontologies Meet Industry (pp. 50–62). Amsterdam: IOS Press.
- Liang, H., Long, W. D., Keirstead, J., Samsatli, N., & Shah, N. (2012). Urban Energy System Planning and Chinese Low-Carbon Eco-City Case Study. Advanced Materials Research, 433-440, 1338–1345. doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.433-440.1338
- Ozaki, R. (2011). Adopting sustainable innovation: what makes consumers sign up to green electricity? Business Strategy and the Environment, 20(1), 1–17. doi:10.1002/bse.650
- Rutter, P., & Keirstead, J. (2012). A brief history and the possible future of urban energy systems. Energy Policy, 50(November), 72–80. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2012.03.072
- Weber, C., & Shah, N. (2011). Optimisation based design of a district energy system for an eco-town in the United Kingdom. Energy, 36(2), 1292–1308. doi:10.1016/j.energy.2010.11.014
- Keirstead, J., & Shah, N. (2011). Calculating minimum energy urban layouts with mathematical programming and Monte Carlo analysis techniques. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 35(5), 368–377. doi:10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2010.12.005
- Ozaki, R. (2011) Green electricity tariffs: why do consumers adopt? The European Business Review. March-April 2011, 10-13.
- Keirstead, J. (2010). Applying service niche indicators to London's energy system. (M. Horner, A. Price, J. Bebbington, & R. Emmanuel) Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal, 21(1), 6-19.
- Keirstead, J., & Schulz, N. B. (2010).London and beyond: Taking a closer look at urban energy policy. Energy Policy, 38(9), 4870-4879.
- Ozaki, R. & Sevastyanova, K. (2011) Going Hybrid: An Analysis of Consumer Purchase Motivations. Energy Policy. 39: 2217-2227.
- Schulz, N. B. (2010). Delving into the carbon footprints of Singapore—comparing direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions of a small and open economic system. Energy Policy, 38(9), 4848-4855. doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2009.08.066.
- Ozaki, R. (2011) Adopting sustainable innovation: what makes consumers sign up to green electricity?, Business Strategy and the Environment. 20: 1-17.
- Keirstead, J (2009) Feeling lucky? Using search engines to assess perceptions of urban sustainability, Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 29(2): 87-95.
- Fisk. D. (2008) What are the risk-related barriers to, and opportunities for, innovation from a business perspective in the UK, in the context of energy management in the built environment? Energy Policy, 36(12): 4615-4617.
- Keirstead, J (2008) What changes, if any, would increased levels of low-carbon decentralised energy have on the built environment?, Energy Policy, 36(12): 4518-4521.
- Frederiksen, L & Davies, A.C. (2008) Vanguards and Ventures: Projects as Vehicles for Corporate Entrepreneurship, International Journal of Project Management, vol, 26, pp. 487-496
- Keirstead, J, Leach, M (2008) Bridging the gaps between theory and practice: a service niche approach to urban sustainability indicators, Sustainable Development, Vol: 16, pp 329 - 340
- Stenzel, T. and Frenzel, A.(2008): Regulating technological change---The strategic reactions of utility companies towards subsidy policies in the German, Spanish and UK electricity markets, Energy Policy Volum e 36, Issue 7, July 2008, pp 2645-2657
- Schulz, NB, (2007) Direct Material inputs into Singapore's Development, Journal. Of Industrial Ecology, Vol: 11, pp 117 – 131
- Marcotullio, PJ, Schulz, NB, (2007) Comparison of energy transitions in the United States and developing and industrializing economies, World Development, Vol: 35, pp 1650 - 1683
- Angeloudis, P., Fisk, D. (2006) Large subway systems as complex networks, Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its App lications, 367, pp 553-558.
- Jennings, M., Munuera, L., McInerney, M.: Energy modelling to support local authorities in the transition towards greater energy efficiency of building stock: a case study in north London. eceee 2013 Summer Study on energy efficiency.
- Jennings, M., Shah, N., Fisk, D. (2012): Optimising the arrangement of finance towards large scale refurbishment of housing stock using mathematical programming and optimisation. Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems at Perugia, Italy, June 2012.
- Jennings, M., Fisk, D., Shah, N. (2011): Optimal scheduling of low carbon investment decisions for a social housing refurbishment case study. Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems at Novi Sad, Serbia, July 2011.
- Acha, S., Green, T. C., & Shah, N. (2011). Optimal Charging Strategies of Electric Vehicles in the UK Power Market. Proceedings of ISGT 2011 (pp. 1–8). Anaheim, CA: IEEE PES.
- Acha, S., van Dam, K.H., Keirstead, J., Shah, N. (2011) Integrated modelling of agent-based electric vehicles into optimal power flow studies. In Proceedings of CIRED 2011.
- van Dam, K.H. & Keirstead, J. (2010). Re-use of an ontology for modelling urban energy systems. In Proceedings of NGInfra 2010. Shenzhen.
- Acha, S., Green, T. C., & Shah, N. (2011). Optimal Charging Strategies of Electric Vehicles in the UK Power Market. In Proceedings of ISGT 2011 (pp. 1-8). Anaheim, CA: IEEE PES.
- Acha, S., Green, T., Shah, N. (2010) Effects of Optimised Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle Charging Strategies on Electric Distribution Network Losses. IEEE PES Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition, New Orleans, USA. April 19-22 2010.
- Acha, S., Green, T., Shah, N. (2010) . Techno-economical Tradeoffs from Embedded Technologies with Storage Capabilities on Electric and Gas Distribution Networks. IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, USA, 25-29 July 2010.
- Keirstead, J., Samsatli, N., Shah, N., Weber, C., & Fisk, D. (2010). The Implications of CHP Planning Restrictions on the Efficiency of Urban Energy Systems. In 23rd International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems. Lausanne.
- Keirstead, J., & van Dam, K. H. (2010). A comparison of two ontologies for agent-based modelling of energy systems. In Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Agent Technologies for Energy Systems (ATES 201 0) ( pp. 21-28). Toronto. Retrieved from http://www.ates2010.org/.
- Kostantinidis, M., Samsatli, N. J., Keirstead, J. E., & Shah, N. (2010). Modelling of integrated municipal solid waste to energy technologies in the urban environment. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Engineering for Waste and Biomass Valorisation. Beijing.
- Weber, C., Keirstead, J., Samsatli, N., Shah, N., & Fisk, D. (2010). Trade-offs between Layout of Cities and Design of District Energy Systems. In Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems. Lausanne.
- Acha, S., Green, T., Shah, N. (2009) Impacts of Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles and Combined Heat and Power Technologies on Electric and Gas Distribution Network Losses. IEEE-PEA/IAS Conference on Sustainable Alternative Energy, Valencia , Spain. Sept 28-30, 2009.
- Keirstead, J. Samsatli, N, Pantaleo, A.M, Shah, N, 2009.Evaluating i ntegrated urban biomass strategies for a UK eco-town. In Proceedings of the European Biomass Conference, Hamburg.
- Keirstead, J., Samsatli, N. & Shah, N., 2009. SynCity: an integrated tool kit for urban energy systems modelling. In Proceedings of the 5th Urban Research Symposium, Marseille.
- Keirstead, J., 2009. London's energy system: prospects for using the service niche approach in current indicator practice. In M. Horner et al. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Whole Life Urban Sustainability and its Assessment. Loughborough University, pp. 488-502.
- Keirstead, J, 2009. London's ener gy system: assessing the quality of urban sustainability indicators using the service niche approach, Second International Conference on Whole Life Urban Sustainability and its Assessment, In: M. Horner, A. Price, J. Bebbington, R. Emmanauel, editor, Loughborough University, pp. 471 - 487.
- Acha, S., Hernand ez-Aramburo, C. (2008) Integrated modelling of gas and electricity distribu tion networks with a high penetration of embedded generation. CIRED Seminar 2008: SmartGrids for Distribution. Frankfurt, Germany, June 23th -24th 2008.
- Keirstead, J. (2007) Selecting sustainability indicators for urban energy systems, Interna tional Conference on Whole Life Urban Sustainability and its Assessment, In: M. Horner, C. Hardcastle, A. Price, J. Bebbington, editor, Glasgow Caledonian University, June 27th -29th 2007.
- Urban Energy Systems in The Global Energy Assessment
Grubler, A., Bai, X., Buettner, T., Dhakal, S., Fisk, D., Ichinose, T., Keirstead, J., et al. (2011)
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Climate Change and Urban Energy Systems in Climate Change and Cities: First Assessment Report of the Urban Climate Change Research Network
Hammer, S., Keirstead, J., Dhakal, S., Mitchell, J. et al. (2011)
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Identifying lessons for energy-efficient cities using an integrated urban energy systems model
Keirstead, J. (2010)
Global Energy Assessment Working Paper Series (Vol. 44, pp. 1-23)
- SynCity: an integrated tool kit for urban energy systems modelling in Energy Efficient Cities: Assessment Tools and Benchmarking Practices (pp. 21-42)
Keirstead, J., Samsatli, N., & Shah, N. (2010)
Washington, D.C.: World Bank.
- Mobilize in Ecological Urbanism
Schulz, N. B., Shah, N., Fisk, D., Keirstead, J., Samsatli, N., Sivakumar, A., et al. (2010)
Harvard University Graduate School of Design
Student theses and projects
2010, Salvador Acha, Impacts of Embedded Technologies on Optimal Operation of Energy Service Networks
- 2010, Patricia Sidat, Improving Out Turn Energy Performance of Buildings
- 2010, Eduardo Abreu, Peak Demand Reduction from the Grid in Urban Energy Systems with Renewable DG Penetration: an analysis of Brazilian systems
- 2010, Gauthier Harant, Optimisation of District Heating Design for CHP Implementation
- 2010, Jane Glynn, Modelling the Imperial College CHP system
- 2010, Mabel Fulford, Developing a low-carbon transition plan for the Peanut District, Toronto
- 2010, Claire Encely, Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles Agent-Base d Mo delling
- 2010, Lucas Chancel, Urban energy transition in the developing world: The case of Nakuru, Kenya
- 2010, Markos Asimakopoulos, Modelling and Optimisation of Vehicle-to-Grid Technolog y for the UK
- 2009, Matthieu Maudelonde, The resilience of London's electricity network
- 2009, Guillaume Eudier, Environment impacts of logistics
- 2009, Liana Vella, Ecological benefits of compact urban settlements
- 2008, Elizabeth Cooper, The analysis and design of urban energy systems
- 2007, Nicole Papaioannou, Developing urban energy indicators for Singapore
- 2009, Agnes Law, The feasibility of introducing electric cars into a UK eco-town
- 2009, Michael Konstantinidis, Waste to energy systems
- 2009, Francois DeMartial, Exergy analysis of London and sensitivity analysis of an urban layout model
- 2009, Wilhelm Dahl, Exergy and district heating analysis of Malmo
- 2008, Aviral Shukla, Agent-based modelling of urban transport