Imperial Artworks Group
How we represent our community reflects our values. The present focus on who is represented in images of various kinds around the College provides us with an opportunity to consider how we want to portray our community, and to reflect its diversity and impact in the world.
The College has commissioned a group under the aegis of President’s Board to propose ways in which its diverse community can be celebrated by means of images and depictions of alumni, staff and students. The intent is to recognise the breadth of our community in its many aspects, as part of the College’s commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
The Artworks Group is inviting the College community to get involved in the group’s work:
- Staff and students can share photos of art in their departments to help the group better understand what is displayed around campus.
- We also want to hear views about spaces that might be good places for new art, opinions on our current artwork, and the kinds of art our community would like to see around campus - including figures we might want to reflect in our art.
Staff and students can volunteer for the Artworks task groups - further details to be announced soon.
To share your views or for more detail about how to get involved, please email: email@example.com
Artworks Group 2020/21 (task and finish group)
Sian Harding Professor of Cardiac Pharmacology (Chair)
John Slyce Senior Tutor and Admissions Tutor, Royal College of Art (Advisor)
Zixiao Wang Graduate Student Union President
Anne Barrett College Archivist and Corporate Records Manager
Mary Reynolds Director of Development and Campaigns
Moonlie Fong-Whittaker Learning and Development Programme Coordinator
Sally Parekh Race Equality Charter Coordinator
Deborah Evanson Press and Communications Manager
Richard Jardine Consul for the Faculty of Engineering/Business School
Eric Aboagye Professor, Department of Surgery & Cancer
Debbie Adegoke Imperial College Union BME Officer
Christopher Bamikole Lab Manager and Section Safety Coordinator, Medicine
Kemi Aofolaju Communications and Events Officer, Bioengineering
Yasmin Abdi Divisional Operations Assistant, Medicine
Anique Varleigh Head of Exams and Assessment, Business School
Ji Young Yoon Mechanical Workshop Technician, Bioengineering
Camille Gajria Clinical Teaching Fellow, School of Public Health
Jess Wade Research Fellow in Materials
Samraat Pawar Reader in Theoretical Ecology, Life Sciences
Mable Nakubulwa CLAHRC Research Associate, School of Public Health
Alinta Sara French and African Art History Lecturer, CLCC
Julian Jones Professor of Biomaterials
Sara Rankin Professor of Leukocyte and Stem Cell Biology
Mindy Lee Head of Art
Charlene Swaby Accounts Receivable Assistant, Finance
Thanya Siamwalla Imperial College Union Interfaith Officer
Omar Leon Database Assistant, Student Recruitment & Outreach
Ralf Martin Associate Professor in Economics, Business School
Martha Salhotra Internal Communications Officer
Bridget McNulty Management Trainee, Office of the President/Provost (Secretary)
Terms of Reference
The Artworks Group was a task and finish group which submitted its recommendations to President's Board in January 2021. The Terms of Reference for the Artworks Group were:
1. To scope the options for Imperial College to increase the visual representations of its communities in public space across its campuses, with a view to finding locations for the long-term display of artworks relating to the diversity of the community.
2. To consult with members of the College and its wider communities, including alumni and partners to identify individuals and groups whose images might be portrayed.
3. To advise the President and Provost on locations for new works of artand portraits that can be commissioned.
- The Artworks Group delivered their first recommended actions to President’s Board in January 2021, which were announced in March 2021.
- Task groups are being assembled to implement the recommendations, with oversight from an overall Artworks Steering Group.
- Read more about the initiatives being rolled out by the Artworks Group.
Artworks Steering Group (ongoing)
Artworks Steering Group
Sian Harding – Steering Group Chair and Professor of Cardiac Pharmacology, National Heart and Lung Institute
Deborah Evanson - Press and Communications Manager
Martha Salhotra - Internal Communications Officer
Michael Booth – Head of Design and Editorial
Anne Barrett - College Archivist and Corporate Records Manager
Ji Young Yoon - Mechanical Workshop Technician, Bioengineering
Omar Leon – Database Assistant, Student Recruitment and Outreach
Moonlie Fong-Whittaker - Learning and Development Programme Coordinator
Richard Jardine - Consul for the Faculty of Engineering/Business School
Anique Varleigh – Head of Exams and Assessment, Business School
Alinta Sara – French Lecturer, Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication
Nicola Pogson – Director of Alumni Relations
Joanne Gardner – Head of Alumni Relations
Jenn Rowater – Alumni Marketing and Communications Manager
John Slyce – Advisor, Royal College of Art