Athena at Imperial
- The College was a founder member of the Charter in 2005
- Imperial holds a Silver institutional award
- 16 departments hold awards, from Bronze to Gold
The Athena Committee is operationally-focused. Its main purpose is to ensure that changes are made to departmental practices and culture so that departments gain, or retain, Athena SWAN awards, increasing the award level where possible.
The Athena Committee is chaired by Professor Stephen Curry, Assistant Provost (EDI), and membership includes the Faculty Ambassadors for Women, the College Athena SWAN Coordinator, and a representative from each department: Athena Committee Terms of Reference (pdf).
Minutes of the Athena Committee:
- 25 September 2018 Athena Commitee Minutes to be confirmed
- 8 May 2018 Athena Committee Minutes (pdf)
- 18 December 2017 Athena Committee Minutes (pdf)
- 7 July 2017 Athena Committee Minutes (pdf)
Academic Opportunities Committee
The Athena Committee succeeded the Academic Opportunities Committee (AOC), which was established in 1998. The AOC was a Rector’s Advisory Committee to ensure a ‘level playing field’ for women academics by removing barriers that may exist in appointment or career advancement, and to ensure that the numbers of such qualified women in the College are as high as possible.
The AOC produced two reports on its activities and achievements: