There is still much to be done, not least in increasing willingness to declare and acknowledge the full range of disabilities, and I should be delighted to hear directly from anyone with ideas on how we can improve"
College Secretary, Chair of the Disability Action Committee, Executive Sponsor for Able
Able is Imperial's most recent staff network, and reflects the College's developing activities and efforts on disability and mental health. The College Equality Objectives 2014-2016 (pdf) recognise that Imperial has had a high level of undisclosed disabilities, and more work needs to be done to support disabled staff.
Able@Imperial is open to all disabled staff, staff who support disabled dependents, and staff who have an interest in disability in the workplace; Able@Imperial Terms of Reference (pdf).
The aims of Able@Imperial are to:
- promote a positive culture around disability
- promote and develop a trusting environment where disability is declared in the workplace
- act as a consultation forum in development for new and existing policies and procedures
- discuss issues relating to disability in the workplace in a safe environment
- set the priorities for internal campaigning around disability
- aid the College to meet its equality objectives relating to disability
- communicate the work on disability College-wide
- help formulate College initiatives to encourage greater representation of disabled staff in all aspects of College life
- provide networking opportunities for personal and professional development
How to join Able@Imperial
If you would like to join the network, please email the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Centre and ask to be added to the mailing list to receive relevant information.
Recruiting New Comittee Members
As part of the committee you will get to be involved with a wide range of activities, from creating events for the network and the College community to getting involved in feeding back on new policy and procedures relating to disability. The time commitment varies but averages around an hour a week.
We are looking for people who have an interest in disability and who are keen to play a part in driving forward cultural change at the College. This is an opportunity to develop and explore different skills, and to meet and network with people outside of your day-to-day role.
For further details on the committee roles see Able@Imperial Job Descriptions (pdf)
Please feel free to email Sarah Shemilt if you have questions about the Committee or for a broader explanation about the role you may be interested in applying for.
Exisiting Committee Members:
- Miss Sarah Shemilt, Chair
- Mrs Caroline Carter, Accessibility Representative
- Ms Alexandra Williams, Communications and Events Representative