How Imperial 600 uses your data
Imperial 600 is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information.
This privacy notice sets out how we collect and use your personal information when you join our network and mailing list.
This information is intended for members of Imperial 600 who would like further information on how we process, store and use personal data.
Information we hold about you
When you join the Imperial 600 network and mailing list we collect the following information in order to send out our communications:
- First name
- Last name
- Imperial email address
In order to monitor and evaluate our activities and tailor our services we also collect the following additional information. Should you wish not to disclose this information you have the option of ‘prefer not to say’.
- Gender identity
- Sexual orientation
How we use the information you provide to us
Most commonly, we use the information held about you in the following ways:
- To provide you with the services you have requested from us.
- To provide you with information about the Imperial 600 network, and our activities and events. We will only send you electronic marketing messages where you consent to this by signing up to our mailing list. Should you no longer want us to use your data in this way you can use the unsubscribe link in our email communications at any time after our initial contact.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests. This may include:
- for internal record keeping
- to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of our activities through research, statistical analysis and surveys, in order to better tailor and improve these for groups represented by the network.
- to monitor and evaluate the readership of our email communications through statistical analysis to better tailor and improve the content of these.
- to better understand the makeup of the LGBTQ+ community at Imperial
- We may also use your personal information in the following situations, which are likely to be rare:
- Where we need to protect your interests (or someone else's interests).
- Where it is needed in the public interest [or for official purposes].
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose.
If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Who we share your information with
When you sign up to our network your personal data will be available only to the key staff responsible for managing/running the network.
We also share your data with the email services provider Mailchimp, in order to send out our email communications, manage our mailing list and undertake statistical analysis of our email campaigns.
Data will only be shared using secure data transfer methods and stored by our partners on secure systems.
We and our partners will not use your personal data in any way that would affect you individually.
Any data released by the College or third parties into the public domain will only be released in aggregate form, and fully anonymised to prevent identification of individuals.
How long we keep your information for
We are required to only keep your information for as long as is necessary as outlined below:
We will use your information to send you electronic communications relating to the network until such time that you decide that you no longer wish to receive these and use the unsubscribe link in our email communications.
Please note that when you unsubscribe from our mailing list, your information will not be automatically removed from Mailchimp and may be retained on our suppression list for one year.
For removal of your data please see your rights as a data subject below.
Your rights as a data subject
You have the right to:
- withdraw consent where that is the legal basis of our processing
- access your personal data that we process, see Access to the information we hold about you below
- rectify inaccuracies in personal data that we hold about you
- be forgotten i.e. for your details to be removed from systems that we use to process your personal data
- restrict the processing of your data in certain ways
- obtain a copy of your data in a commonly used electronic form
- object to certain processing of your personal data by us
For further information see the Information Commissioner’s Office or contact Imperial’s Data Protection Officer.
You have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office about the way in which we process your personal data.
Access to the information we hold about you
You have a right to request a copy of the data that we hold about you, to ask us to amend your details or ask us to stop processing or delete your personal data in certain circumstances.
If you would like a copy of the data supplied to us, or have any questions or concerns about the use of data for the purposes described, or would like your data to be deleted from our system, please contact us by writing to:
Imperial 600 Data Enquiry
c/o Caz Ulley
Student Recruitment and Outreach
Imperial College London
Level 3 Sherfield Building
Alternatively, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title: Data enquiry.
We may amend this Privacy Notice from time to time.
Any significant changes to this Notice or to the way we treat your data will be communicated via the College website or by contacting you directly through the most appropriate means.
The College is currently required to register its notice of being a data controller with the UK’s regulatory body – the Information Commissioner’s Officer.
The College’s registration number is Z5940050.
You can contact the College’s Data Protection Officer at Level 4 Faculty Building, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London, SW7 2AZ.
If we are unable to help resolve your concerns, you have the right to raise your concern with the Information Commissioner’s Officer: www.ico.org.uk
Changes to this privacy notice
We reserve the right to update this privacy notice at any time, and we will provide you with a new privacy notice when we make any substantial updates.
We may also notify you in other ways from time to time about the processing of your personal information.