Welcome to the waste directory - clinical waste
What is included?
- other items
What happens to this waste stream?
Clinical waste waste stream
Clinical waste represents 20% of our total waste.
Where do I put it?
- Solid waste (Hazard Group 1 or 2 & Class 1 or 2) appropriately pretreated via autoclave should be bagged and tagged.
- Yellow waste stream
- Orange waste stream
Who removes it?
- Laboratory staff should take their waste to the bulk waste compound.
What happens to it then?
- Yellow stream waste is sent for incineration and energy recovery (waste from Silwood Park is covered under a separate contract; this waste is incinerated without energy recovery).
- Orange stream waste is sent for alternative treatment; the ultimate fate of this route is landfill.
How green is this waste stream?
- The bins and carts are re-used.
What else can I do?
- If the books are not in good condition then you could always tear the pages from the spines and recycle the pages in the paper stream.
Roger Smith, Hazardous Waste Coordinator: 07590 250 550