Welcome to the waste directory - flat glass
What can be recycled?
- There is currently no system to recycle window panes or flat glass. These should be disposed of carefully in general waste.
- Ideally, this waste should be placed directly into a Eurocart.
- If anyone will be transporting the glass waste for you, then you should ensure that it is appropriately and adequately wrapped (eg in thick cardboard) and labelled appropriately to avoid risk of injury.
What is included?
- Window glass
- Flat glass
What happens to this waste stream?
Flat glass waste stream
Where do I put flat glass?
- Into a black-labelled general waste Eurocart
- If waste is not collected in a Eurocart then package the glass appropriately and adequately wrapped (eg in thick cardboard) and label it to avoid risk of injury to anyone dealing with its disposal.
What happens then?
- This waste will usually be sent for energy recovery; however, there is no calorific value in glass so no benefit will be derived from it.
- There is presently no route to recycle flat glass.
How green is this waste stream?
- Carts are re-used.
- By recycling we reduce our need for raw materials, reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and reduce our carbon footprint.
- You are helping to protect and improve the environment.
Peter Bodi, Supervisor Support Operations: x50223