Italian Beginners (daytime)
Join our friendly and informal lunchtime classes to learn or improve your Italian skills.
Information at a Glance
- Daytime (lunchtime) Class
- Tuesdays 12:00 - 12:50
- 10 weeks: May to July
- 50 minutes weekly online taught time
- Tutor: Adriana Lepori
- Fees from £34 to £58
- COURSE CANCELLED
Please note this is a continuation course leading on from the course for absolute beginners which started in October. As a consequence, students joining now need to already possess fairly basic Italian skills (equivalent of 20 hours' tuition). Should you require level advice please contact our Italian Coordinator prior to enrolment.
The course is designed to offer an introduction to the Italian language. The course features some communicative exercises to help students form basic sentences and to exchange information about themselves.
The main skills to be aimed at are speaking and listening, complemented by some basic writing and reading. The syllabus stages to be completed are:
- Simple greetings and use of formal and informal;
- Numbers and dates: days and months;
- Buying drinks and food;
- Learning about paying and how to shop;
- More numbers and telling the time, dates;
- Buying clothes and describing material;
- Hotel room bookings;
- Basic phone calls and letters;
- Describing family and friends and home environment;
- Holidays, studies, plans.
Grammatical structures to be introduced and practiced are present tenses, adjectives, some pronouns and specific vocabulary.
*** COURSE CANCELLED DUE TO INSUFFICIENT INTEREST ***
Progress through the course and textbook (if any) will depend on the group dynamics of the class. Students are advised not to buy any course books before the start of the course.
Choosing the right language level is very important and we aim to make the process of deciding which is the right course level for you as simple as possible.
If you have some experience in the language you wish to study please first review our course descriptions to try to identify the course level which should be most suitable for you. Especially if you are out of practice in a language, or have been out of formal education for a while, please be reasonably sure and realistic about your level of proficiency prior to proceeding with enrolment.
For course-level advice please contact our Italian Coordinator: Dr Sheila Lecoeur, email@example.com
All tutors on our language programmes are native speakers with a great deal of experience in teaching languages to beginners and the more advanced. Tutor contact details are provided in the programme pack which will be emailed to you just prior to the start of term.
For any questions relating to your tutor's background or teaching qualifications please contact our Italian Coordinator: Dr Sheila Lecoeur, firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Fees and Rate Categories
|Hours||Weeks||Standard Rate||Internal Rate||Associate Rate|
|All fee rates quoted are for the whole course.|
Fee Categories and Discounts
- Applicable to all except those who fall under the Internal Rate or Associate Rate category, respectively.
- Applies to current Imperial College students and staff (incl. Imperial NHS Trust, Imperial Innovations, ancillary & service staff employed on long-term contracts at Imperial College by third-party contractors).
- Current Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication (CLCC) staff, current CLCC PhD students, Science Communication (Sci Comm) postgraduate students, and students enrolled on an Imperial College 'Language for Science' degree programme should email evening email@example.com before completing the online enrolment form.
- Students (non-Imperial College)
- Alumni of Imperial College and predecessor colleges and institutes
- City & Guilds College Association members
- Members of the Friends of Imperial College
- Francis Crick Institute staff, researchers and students
- NHS staff (other than Imperial NHS Trust staff)
- Members of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Council staff
- Harrods staff
- Historic Royal Palaces staff
- Natural History Museum staff
- Science Museum staff
- South London Botanical Institute Members
- Victoria and Albert Museum staff
- Royal Geographical Society staff
- Royal College of Art and Royal College of Music tutors and other staff
- Santander Bank staff (Imperial College Walkway branch only)
- Austrian Cultural Forum staff
- Staff of Exhibition Road Cultural Group (Discover South Kensington) organisations
- Lycee Charles de Gaulle staff
- Tutors and other staff of other universities and higher education institutions
- Tutors and other staff of institution members of the Association of Colleges
- Residents of postcodes SW3, SW5, SW7, SW10 and W8
It is possible to enrol on many CLCC Evening Class and Lunchtime Learning programmes after the course has started. For non-language courses this is subject entirely to agreement by the tutor. For language courses it is subject to agreement by the language Coordinator conducting level assessment. If you want to join a course late do bear in mind there might be work you will need to catch up on, particularly in language courses.
Applicable terms & conditions
Please read these before enrolling on any course.
|Hours||Weeks||Autumn term||Spring term||Summer term|
|10||10||n/a||n/a||27 Apr - 4 Jul 2020 (10 weeks)|
Web enrolment starts 1 March
Enrolment and payment run through the Imperial College eStore. Please click on the blue booking link on the relevant course page noting below instructions:
- Our rate categories are explained on the course page and your applicable rate category must be selected on the eStore
- First-time eStore users please create an account by entering an email address and password. These credentials should also be used for future bookings. Imperial College users please note the eStore is not a single-signon College system
- The booking process involves entering payment details before your course choice and applicant details are queried on an in-built questionnnaire which completes the process
- The following email notifications are sent
|What is sent||When is it sent||What does it contain|
|1. Payment confirmation||Instantaneously following submission of your online application||
|2. Enrolment confirmation||Sent in due course but likely not before the end of March. Please treat your payment confirmation as confirmation that your applicant details and payment have been received||
|3. Programme information||Usually sent Friday late afternoon the week before term starts||
|If you need further help with the above information please ring 020 7594 8756
Certificate of Attendance
Our adult education evening and daytime classes do not offer academic credits, but we do offer an attendance certificate to those learners who attend at least 80% of the taught sessions. Eligible learners receive their certificate by email after the end of the course.
For any questions regarding course content, delivery and materials please contact our Italian Coordinator: Dr Sheila Lecoeur, firstname.lastname@example.org