Mind, body and soul
Achieving the right balance between your work and personal life is an ongoing process that differs for each individual. Important elements in this are your mental, physical and emotional well being. On this page you will find some College offerings and on-campus resources to help you achieve your health, wellness and professional development goals to balance your mind, body and soul.
As part of its commitment to developing all members of staff, College offers you a wide range of opportunities for professional development and extra curricular activities. Please see some of what is available set out below.
Academic and Research staff
- If you are employed as a post-doctoral member of staff you are entitled to up to 10 days' training per year which you can use to develop your personal transferable skills.
- The Postdoc and Fellows Development Centre (PDFC) offers an extensive programme of professional skills and career development training, support and opportunities, to enable postdocs and fellows to succeed in their current position while planning their next step.
- The Learning and Development Centre offers a wide range of development opportunities for Academics. These include Leadership and Personal Development programmes, Academic Masterclasses and other Development Resources.
- The Elsie Widdowson Fellowship Award may be of interest to you if you are an academic member of staff returning to work following maternity, adoption, surrogacy or shared parental leave. The purpose of the Award is to allow you to concentrate fully on your research work upon returning from the aforementioned leave.
"Overall, the fellowship was critical in providing support and flexibility and this enabled me to balance an academic career with family life." Dr Muireann Coen, Department of Surgery & Cancer.
Professional services staff
- Targeted talent development programmes designed to recognise those staff who both perform outstandingly well and who have the leadership potential, aspiration and engagement to rise through the organisation.
- The Learning and Development Centre provides a wide range of development activities (such as personal training, team building events, consultancy, talent development programmes, coaching, one to one support, blended learning) to enable you to learn the skills relevant to your role and to develop skills and abilities that will equip you for promotion. Why not take a look at what's on offer?
- A set of Career Development webpages, are available on the Organisation and Staff Development website, which bring together a range of available activities and resources designed to support staff seeking opportunities for career development and progression.
- The annual Personal Review and Development Plan (PRDP) is a process which involves a conversation between you and your manager, focusing on your previous year's work, plans and objectives for the forthcoming year, and includes the preparation of your individual development plan.
- You may also wish to view our for information on study loans and our Time away benefits for details of the study leave available.
Extra curricular activities
- The College offers you a selection of evening classes. Choose from topics such as learning a new language, creative writing, music technology, photography, opera appreciation and many more. View the classes on offer.
As a member of staff you are automatically registered with the Library. Your College ID card is your library card - use it to swipe into the library, borrow books and operate the printer-copiers. If you have not received a College ID card bring your staff contract, letter of appointment or letter from Imperial College London department to the Welcome Desk in the Central Library or to your home campus library. For further information visit the Library Services' website.
Sleepio - improve your sleep
We’ve teamed up with experts from Sleepio to help you test your sleep and improve it. Sleepio is free for Imperial staff thanks to Good Thinking, London’s NHS Digital Mental Wellbeing Service.
For information on how to access this service, visit Sleepio's page on the Health and Wellbeing section of the website.
We suport you in your efforts to live well, whether that's through relaxation classes, making new friends or giving something back to the community.
Meditation and Mindfulness
If you are interested in joining the free meditation or mindfulness classes offered at the College, please visit the Health and Wellbeing website for further information.
Connect, share, learn and give
Make new friends by participating in social activities at College. Take a look at the making connections webpage.
- If you have a little time to spare, volunteering can be a very rewarding experience. Take a look at the Volunteering webpages and find an area or activity that suits you.Imperial Festival volunteer.