Safeguarding is the action taken to promote the welfare of children under the age of 18 and vulnerable adults and protect them from harm.
The College is committed to providing a safe environment for all students, staff and visitors who access our facilities and services. We recognise our responsibility to safeguard children and vulnerable adults who are involved in the wide scope of our activities. This includes those registered as students, those using our accommodation, sports facilities, disability advisory and counselling services, Early Years Education Centre, those involved in outreach activities, and those attending events on College premises.
Flexible content widget
Other important information
You can find information about the College’s current arrangements for safeguarding children and vulnerable adults as follows:
- The Policy and Code of Practice (including Annexes below): outline the arrangements in place across the College, individuals’ responsibilities and guidelines for staff and students carrying out activities involving children and vulnerable adults. They also provide guidelines for staff on how to respond to allegations of child abuse or harm, including template record forms.
- Guidance on code of conduct whilst working or volunteering with children
- Annex A - Responding to allegations /suspicions of abuse or harm [pdf]
- Annex B - Referral form to the Disclosure and Barring Service [pdf]
- Annex C - Example of health and safety risk assessment [pdf]
- Annex D - Exchange of indecent images of children [pdf]
- Annex F - Disclosure and Barring Service checks [pdf]
- Annex G - Reporting a concern [pdf]
- Annex H - Safeguarding referrals flowchart [pdf]
- Annex I - Safeguarding committee membership and terms of reference [pdf]
- Disclosure and Barring Service guidance: explains the procedure for appointing staff to roles involving regulated activity with under 18s or vulnerable adults, for which a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check will be required. For further advice, please contact the HR Staff Hub.
- Outreach: where it is identified that a student volunteer requires a DBS check, please contact Outreach.
- The Early Years Education Centre’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy outlines the specific requirements relevant to the Centre’s activities.
- Safeguarding for Research Projects: outlines Safeguarding responsibilities and guidelines for those undertaking research projects
- Work Experience Guidance for Managers (inculding appendices)
- Prevent Strategy: The College has a duty of care to its students and staff. As members of the College, we all share in this.
- Peer on peer abuse toolkit (please be aware that this document was not specifically designed for the College and should only be used as a guide. If further advice is required on application, please contact the Hannah Bannister in the first instance).
- Online Safeguarding Guidance
In recognition of the wide scope of activities the College is engaged in which involve contact with children and vulnerable adults, the Director of HR and Organisational Change commissioned Farrer & Co to undertake a strategic review of the College’s safeguarding arrangements and identify areas for improvement.
As a result, the College has set up a Safeguarding Committee, chaired by the Director of HR and Organisational Change and consisting of representatives from across College who have lead responsibility for activities involving under 18s or vulnerable adults. The committee will meet on a termly basis to:
- Agree protocols and procedures that reflect a best practice approach to safeguarding
- Ensure clear accountability and training for those with responsibility for safeguarding
- Share learning and casework developments to improve awareness and compliance
- Wednesday 5 August 2020
- Wednesday 4 November 2020
Further information will be published as it becomes available. For general questions please contact Louise Lindsay, Director of Safeguarding and College Projects at email@example.com.
An annual report will be made to Provost's Board on the Committee's activities and actions.
|Louise Lindsay (Chair)||Director of Safeguarding and College Projects|
|Shola Alabi||Strategic HR Partner|
|Annalisa Alexander||Head of Outreach|
|David Ashton||Academic Registrar|
|Melanie Bottrill||Scientific Programmes Manager, Student Recruitment and Outreach|
|Terry Branch||Head of Security|
|Vicky Brightman||Public Engagement Manager|
|Pippa Chalmers||Head of Compliance|
|Katie Coupar-Evans||Head of Advancement Events|
|Benita Cox||Principle Teaching Fellow, Business School|
|Lorraine Craig||Associate Dean of Learning and Teaching, Faculty of Engineering|
|Liz-Anne Des Vignes||Early Years Deputy Manager/Section Manager, Early Years Education Centre|
|Thomas Flynn||Managing Director of Student Union|
|Claire Fox||Acting Head of Disability Advisory Service|
|Tracy Halsey||Head of Early Years Education Centre|
|William Hollyer||Head of Sport|
|Surrinder Johal||Director of Safety|
|Angela Kehoe||Strategic HR Partner, Faculty of Natural Sciences|
|Ann Kelly||Head of Employee Relations|
|Alice Kendle||Farrers & Co representitive|
|Sue Mannion||Student Hub Manager, Campus Services|
|David Mooney||Student Counselling|
|Lara Mistry||Public Engagement Programme Manager|
|Jane Neary||Director of Campus Services|
|John Neilson||College Secretary|
|Elizabeth Nixon||Internal Communications Manager|
|Paul Noke||Head of Residential Services and Support Operations|
|Claire' O'Brien||Director of Occupational Health|
|Debra Ogden||Action Director of Student Services|
|Priya Pallan||Community Engagement Manager (White City)|
|Maryam Philpott||Research Support Manager (Process Development)|
|Philip Power||Head of Education and Student Experience Strategy, Faculty of Engineering|
|Zoe Punaks||Director of Advancement Operations and Administration|
|Iain Reid||Sport Imperial Commercial Manager|
|Fiona Richmond||Lead Organisational Development Consultant|
|Nick Roalfe||Director of Estates Operation|
|John Seddon||Professor of Chemical Physics, Chemistry|
|Lucy Spasova-Joneja||Business Development Manager|
|Andrew Tebbutt||Director of Student Recruitment and Outreach|
|Jon Tucker||Faculty Operating Officer, Faculty of Medicine|
|Jeffrey Vernon||Principle Teaching Fellow, Faculty of Medicine Centre|
|Kim Vieira-Martins||Conferencing and Events Sales Manager|
|Chris Watkins||Faculty Operating Officer, Faculty of Medicine|
|Claire Whelan||Global Summer School Development Manager|
|Suzanne Woodcock||Staff DBS Manager|
|Sheena Cardoso (Secretary)||EDI Centre Coordinator|