What is Safeguarding?
Safeguarding is the action taken to promote the welfare of children under the age of 18 and vulnerable adults and protect them from harm.
The College’s Commitment to Safeguarding
The College is committed to providing a safe environment for all students, staff and visitors who access our facilities and services.
We recognise our responsibility to safeguard children and vulnerable adults who are involved in the wide scope of our activities. This includes those registered as students, those using our accommodation, sports facilities, disability advisory and counselling services, Early Years Education Centre, those involved in outreach activities, and those attending events on College premises.
Current Safeguarding Arrangements
You can find information about the College’s current arrangements for safeguarding children and vulnerable adults as follows:
- Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy [pdf] and Child Protection and Safeguarding Code of Practice [pdf] (including Annexes below): outlines the arrangements in place across the College, individuals’ responsibilities and guidelines for staff and students carrying out activities involving children and vulnerable adults. It also provides guidelines for staff on how to respond to allegations of child abuse or harm, including template record forms.
- Guidance on code of conduct whilst working or volunteering with children, young people or vulnerable adults
- Annex A - Responding to allegations/suspicions of child abuse or harm [pdf]
- Annex B - Referral form to the Disclosure and Barring Service [pdf]
- Annex C - Example of health and safety risk assessment [pdf]
- Annex D - Exchange of indecent images of children [pdf]
- Annex E -Responding to allegations/suspicions of harm to vulnerable adults [pdf]
- Annex F - Disclosure and Barring Service checks [pdf]
- Annex G - Reporting a concern [pdf]
- Annex H - Safeguarding referrals flowchart [pdf]
- Annex I - Safeguarding committee membership and terms of reference [pdf]
- Disclosure and Barring Service guidance: explains the procedure for appointing staff to roles involving regulated activity with under 18s or vulnerable adults, for which a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check will be required. For further advice, please contact the HR Staff Hub.
- Outreach: where it is identified that a student volunteer requires a DBS check, please contact Outreach.
- The Early Years Education Centre’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy outlines the specific requirements relevant to the Centre’s activities.
- Children and young persons on campus - guidance from the Safety department including a Children and Young Person Risk Assessment form.
- Safeguarding for Research Projects: outlines Safeguarding responsibilities and guidelines for those undertaking research projects
Peer on peer abuse toolkit (please be aware that this document was not specifically designed for the College, and should only be used as a guide. If further advice is required on application, please contact the Hannah Bannister in the first instance).
In recognition of the wide scope of activities the College is engaged in which involve contact with children and vulnerable adults, the Director of HR and Organisational Change commissioned Farrer & Co to undertake a strategic review of the College’s safeguarding arrangements and identify areas for improvement.
As a result, the College has set up a Safeguarding Committee, chaired by the Director of HR and Organisational Change and consisting of representatives from across College who have lead responsibility for activities involving under 18s or vulnerable adults. The committee will meet on a termly basis to:
- Agree protocols and procedures that reflect a best practice approach to safeguarding
- Ensure clear accountability and training for those with responsibility for safeguarding
- Share learning and casework developments to improve awareness and compliance
- Wednesday 7 August 2019
- Wednesday 6 November 2019
- Wednesday 4 March 2020
Further information will be published as it becomes available. For general questions please contact Louise Lindsay, Director of Human Resources and Organisational change at email@example.com.
An annual report will be made to Provost's Board on the Committee's activities and actions.
|Louise Lindsay (Chair)||Director of Human Resources and Organisational Change|
|Jane Neary||Director of Campus Services|
|Tracy Halsey||Head of Early Years Education Centre|
|Andrew Tebbutt||Director of student Recruitment and Outreach|
|Annalisa Alexander||Head of Outreach|
|Melanie Bottrill||Scientific Programmes Manager, Student Recruitment and Outreach|
|Katie Coupar-Evans||Head of Advancement Events|
|Vicky Brightman||Public Engagement Manager|
|Shola Alabi||Senior HR Manager|
|Pippa Chalmers||HR Manager, Compliance and Information|
|John Neilson||College Secretary|
|David Ashton||Academic Registrar|
|Mary Bown||Head of Disability Advisory Service|
|Rosie Summerhayes||Head of Student Counselling and Mental Health Service|
|Claire' O'Brien||Director of Occupational Health|
|Jarlath O'Hara||Managing Director, Student Union|
|Charles Gallagher||Head of Commercial Operations|
|Fiona Richmond||Acting Head of the Learning and Development Centre|
|Terry Branch||Head of Security|
|Hannah Bannister||Director of Student Services|
|William Hollyer||Head of Sport|
|Jon Tucker||Faculty Operating Officer, Business School|
|Angela Kehoe||Senior HR Manager, Faculty of Natural Sciences|
|Nick Roalfe||Director of Facilities Management|
|Philip Power||Head of Education and Student Experience Strategy, Faculty of Engineering|
|Ann Kelly||Head of Employee Relations|
|Surrinder Johal||Director of Safety|
|Susan English||Director Education Management & Programme Director Education|
|Hannah MacLachlan||Head of Communications|
|Chris Watkins||Faculty Operating Officer, Faculty of Medicine|
|Maryam Philpott||Research Support Manager (Process Development)|
|Lara Mistry||Public Engagement Programme Manager|
|Paul Noke||Head of Residential Services and Support Operations|
|Priya Pallan||Community Engagement Manager (White City)|
|Rob Lewis||Farrer & Co representative|
|Amy Morton (Secretary)||HR Group Coordinator|