Essential travel information
The following is a check-list of items you may need to have about your person when travelling to the UK:
- Air ticket
- Travel insurance documents (you may wish to leave a copy of these in your home country, or scan and email them to yourself)
- Address and telephone number of your final destination
- Details of your onward travel when you get to the UK
- Warm clothing
- British currency (see currency below)
- A full list of the contents of your suitcase in case it gets lost
- A letter of explanation from your doctor for any prescribed drugs you may need to bring with you
- Enough prescribed medication for the journey
- Pen / pencil / paper in case you need to write down directions/ telephone numbers
You are restricted or banned completely from bringing certain goods or items into the UK, even if you are travelling from within the European Union. These include firearms, offensive weapons, endangered species (and items made from them), and some types of food and plants. You can find a complete list on the HM Revenue and Customs, Travelling to the UK webpage.
If you are travelling to the UK from outside of the European Union, there are regulations in place regarding declaring cash when you enter or leave the country.
The official currency of the UK is the pound sterling. The sign for the British pound (as it is informally referred to) is £. You may wish to check current conversion rates on the XE universal currency converter.