Considering applying to study for a PhD in the Department of Immunology and Inflammation? Below, we provide answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the application process, including eligibility and fees.
What are the steps in making a PhD or MD(Res) application?
- Identify and seek the agreement of a supervisor.
- Make an online application and upload your supporting documentation.
- Send confirmation of your online application to the Research Degrees Administrator via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Admissions and Departmental reviews of your application take place (all successful PhD/ MD(Res) applicants require an interview as part of the application process). You will be contacted following the outcome of your application reviews.
How many supervisors do I need?
All students undertaking a PhD or MD(Res) require two supervisors. You only need to identify one at online application stage.
How do I find a suitable supervisor?
The first step in the application process is to identify and speak to a supervisor. Please browse our Research web pages in order to do this.
Are there any eligibility requirements of which I need to be aware?
You will be required to meet Imperial College London’s eligibility requirements with regard to academic qualifications and English language before you register for a PhD or MD(Res). Full information can be found on the College's eligibility webpage.
Please note that if you are applying for the President’s Scholarship, you will need to have obtained a UK First in your undergraduate degree or equivalent. If you have an additional Master's, it must have been awarded with a Distinction.
How do I apply?
Once you have found a supervisor who has agreed to supervise you, please apply online by clicking on ‘Apply for Doctoral Courses’.
You will be prompted to create an account, once you have done so please log in and select the options below, before following the online instructions to complete the remainder of your application:
- Under Course Type, please select ‘Doctoral’
- Under Academic Programme,
- For PhD applications, please select your research area of interest, e.g. ‘Clinical Medicine Research (Immunology and Inflammation)’
- For MD (Res) applications, please select your research area of interest, e.g. ‘Clinical Medicine Research (Immunology and Inflammation) MD (Res)’
Once you have completed your online application, please email confirmation to email@example.com so that the Research Degrees Administrator can follow up your application with our Admissions Team.
Once you complete your online application Registry will assess your qualifications and English language certificate where required to confirm you meet Imperial College London’s eligibility requirements, before forwarding for Departmental review.
What are the tuition fees?
Please refer to the College's Postgraduate Tuition Fees webpages for current tuition fee information.
As a staff member, am I eligible for discounted tuition fees?
Self-funded staff members with a contract for the minimum duration of a PhD (3 years) or MD(Res) (2 years) are eligible for the tuition fee remission scheme. A copy of your contract must be forwarded to the Research Degrees Administrator and uploaded as part of your online application. Further information can be found on the remission scheme webpage.
If a staff member is not self-funding (i.e. your fees are paid by external sources), you are not eligible for fee remission.
As a staff member, can I backdate my start PhD/ MD(Res) start date?
You can backdate the start of your PhD/ MD(Res) for a maximum of three months from the date you enrol following a successful application.
Who do I contact to follow up the progress of my application?
For all postgraduate enquiries, please contact the Research Degrees Administrator via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I'm struggling to upload any documents to the online application system - who should I contact for support?
If you are unable to upload supporting documents to the online application system, please forward them to the Research Degrees Administrator via email at email@example.com