How will the apprenticeship be structured?
Apprentices will work towards a series of qualifications across four years, starting with NVQ 2 and working their way up to HNC over four years:
Year 1: Full time at Kingston College for whole year. Undertaking NVQ level 2 qualifications in Performing Engineering Operations, Functional Skills (ICT, Maths and English) and Key Skills. Starting work towards the first year of a two year BTEC level 3 Diploma in Operations and Maintenance Engineering.
Year 2: Four days per week at Imperial and one day per week either at Kingston or in work-based learning at Imperial. Complete second year of BTEC level 3 Diploma in Operations and Maintenance Engineering and start first year of three year NVQ level 3 in Engineering Manufacture.
Years 3 & 4: Four days per week at Imperial and one day per week either at Kingston or in work-based learning at Imperial. Complete NVQ level 3 in Engineering Manufacture and undertake two year BTEC level 4 Higher National Certificate in Engineering.
What would I do whilst working on the job?
- Learn a broad range of engineering skills: designing, developing, manufacturing and testing.
- Have access to excellent training in the work place and at college, whilst earning a salary.
- Use the latest design and manufacturing methods including computer aided design, rapid proto-typing and computer controlled manufacturing methods.
- Support students at Imperial College in their learning: preparing resources, helping them use equipment and demonstrating processes.
- Support researchers in exciting projects that have an impact on people and the world we live in.
- Learn and carry out a range of engineering activities, not normally carried out by a single individual in an engineering organisation.
- Work in one of the best universities in the world, with an enthusiastic team of technician staff, supporting the activities of Imperial College London.