Public Engagement Programmer and Practitioner
Are you skilled in developing high-quality informal learning activities that engage diverse audiences with science? Are you excited by the prospect of curating and launching a new public programme? Do you have fantastic relationship-building skills that you can apply across multiple stakeholders? If so, you could join our Societal Engagement Team in this important role that will bring our new Interaction Zone to life as a vibrant and...
Job listing information
- Reference PRO00250
- Date posted 17 April 2019
- Closing date 19 May 2019
Are you skilled in developing high-quality informal learning activities that engage diverse audiences with science? Are you excited by the prospect of curating and launching a new public programme? Do you have fantastic relationship-building skills that you can apply across multiple stakeholders? If so, you could join our Societal Engagement Team in this important role that will bring our new Interaction Zone to life as a vibrant and welcoming public engagement space.
The Interaction Zone is part of the Invention Rooms, a pioneering community and innovation space at Imperial’s new White City Campus. Here you can find cutting-edge workshops, design studios and interactive spaces for innovation and collaboration between the College, the local community and our partners. Over the coming years, we hope to inspire generations of inventors, entrepreneurs and makers from the local area and beyond.
This exciting role will have responsibility for curating and overseeing the delivery of a unique and dynamic programme of public engagement activities. You will apply your broad range of expertise and experience across engagement and informal learning methods and have a sophisticated ability to ensure that engagements are mutually beneficial to our internal and external communities. This may be installing small touring exhibitions, developing events co-created with local residents, developing creative workshops or sourcing relevant freelancers to develop unique opportunities for our local community.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design and implement a regular programme of activity at The Invention Rooms that connects Imperial’s research and education with the local community in a variety of ways - working closely with the Venue Operations Manager and Community Engagement Manager at White City as well as the central Public Engagement Team.
- Manage resources across the annual programme of public engagement at White City, maintaining a budget, providing regular reports, and identifying risks and issues for discussion with management.
- Ensure the Public Programme Plan based at White City delivers Imperial’s strategy for community engagement and public engagement.
We are looking for a confident and supportive team member who:
- can bring vision, creativity, and passion to this new public engagement programme
- has experience of curating a varied ‘place-based’ programme of regular public engagement activities for a diverse range of audiences
- can develop informal learning programmes, such as family learning workshops, including setting learning outcomes and evaluating efficacy
We usually appoint at the start of the salary scale.
Interview dates – Monday 29th May
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people