Community and culture
We will foster a community where different backgrouds and cultures are cherished and celebrated, and an educational culture that understands and embodies the values of diversity and inclusivity
We will invest in training for all staff who teach to support these changes. A new scheme will award grants to students who work with staff to implement change within their departments. We will enhance our student services to provide the modern, professional and comprehensive support our students deserve. We will also invest in new initiatives to embed equality, diversity and inclusivity in the campus community.
To create a healthy learning and working environment we need to foster a community in which different backgrounds and cultures are cherished and recognised as critical to excellence in education. We will create and nurture a supportive environment for staff and students that rewards and recognises innovation and encourages active student engagement in positive change.
The creation of a supportive environment is key to fostering a sense of community and we will work to enhance this throughout the College.
- Inclusive learning: supporting staff and students to turn diverse backgrounds and cultures into an opportunity for mutual learning, taking advantage of different experiences and perspectives
- A supportive and inclusive scholarly community: strengthening support for students and working to embed equality, diversity and inclusivity in the campus community
- Establishing a culture that values teaching as highly as research: improving recognition for staff and striving for greater parity of esteem for teaching
- Supporting innovation: creating time for staff to step back from existing workloads and recognising their contributions consistently across the College
- Student engagement in positive change: establishing new ways for students to contribute to their own and to their peers’ educational experience as co-creators of teaching innovations