Equal Opportunities Committee
Terms of Reference
1. To ensure that the Department of Life Sciences promotes equality and diversity in all its spheres of operation, and takes speedy action to address inequalities in such a way as to benefit all staff and students.
2. To raise awareness that good working practices benefit all staff and students, but bad working practices are likely to disproportionately affect women and minorities.
3. To monitor and evaluate policies and procedures for improving working practices and for changing culture within DoLS.
4. To drive forward the Athena SWAN agenda in DoLS, in accordance with the Athena SWAN Charter and Principles.
5. To develop, implement and monitor DoLS Athena SWAN action plans and submissions.
Current Committee Members
- Mr James Andrewes (Education Office Manager)
- Prof Timothy Barraclough (Deputy Head of Department - Silwood Park) - joined June 2016
- Dr Hugh Brady (Reader in Immunology)
- Dr Lauren Cator (Lecturer, Silwood Park)
- Dr Magda Charalambous (Senior Teaching Fellow) - joined Feb 2016
- Prof Stephen Curry (CHAIR; 1 Jan 2017 - present)
- Liz Elvidge (Director, Postdoc Development Centre) - joined Feb 2016
- Dr Giorgio Gilestro (Lecturer in Systems Biology)
- Ms Allison Hunter (Technical Operations Manager) - joined Oct 2015
- Ms Rebecca Stiffell (Executive Assistant)
- Ms Christina Lundy (HR Manager, FoNS) - joined Feb 2016
- Dr Masue Marbiah (Postdoc Rep) - joined Feb 2016
- Dr John Pinney (Research Fellow)
- Dr Karen Polizzi (Senior Lecturer)
- Sonia Rebollo Ramirez (PhD Student Rep)
Previous Committee Members
- Prof Anne Dell (CHAIR) 2013 - 31 Dec 2016
- Dr Kleoniki Gounaris (Senior Lecturer, Director of Postgraduate Studies): 2013 - 2016
- Prof Murray Selkirk (Head of Department until 31 December 2016): 2013-2016
- Mr Hongjiant Miao (PhD Student Rep) (Feb 2016 - Oct 2016)
- Committee Members 2013-2015:
Left to Right: Mr James Andrewes (Teaching Office Manager), Ms Rachel Vaux (PhD Student Rep), Dr Giorgio Gilestro (Lecturer), Dr Kleoniki Gounaris (Senior Lecturer & Director of Postgraduate Studies), Dr Karen Polizzi (Senior Lecturer), Dr Alexandra Anderson (Postdoc Rep), Dr John Pinney (Research Fellow), Ms Lenne Lillepuu (Executive Assistant), Dr Hugh Brady (Reader), Prof Murray Selkirk (Head of Department), Prof Anne Dell (Chair of AOC), Prof Vincent Savolainen (Deputy HoD, via Skype - Silwood Park) and Prof E J Milner-Gulland (Professor - Silwood Park) plus Dr Radhika Desikan (Lecturer) and Dr Rachel McMullan (Research Fellow) who were both on Maternity Leave at the time of taking this photo.